A and B Teams

“Guys!” Leo called from the dojo. “Let’s go!”

“We’re waiting for Naomi still.” Sophie sighed. “And Raph since he’s trying to wake her up.”

“What’d she do last night?” Mikey asked. “Stay up?”

I turned around and saw Naomi leave her room with Spike in hand. She returned him to Raph’s room, then headed to the dojo with Raph coming out of her room and following close behind. Naomi looked at me as I passed. Her eyes were clouded and for once, tired.

She walked in and yawned, “I am here.”

Everyone looked at her. Sophie put her hands on her hips and said, “You don’t look too well, do you need to sleep?”

“I’m fine.” Naomi growled. “I’ll be sleeping a ton later on…”

We took that as in she’d sleep tonight very well. But later, and I think back, she meant something else entirely…

Raph walked in behind her and then Splinter came in. Naomi then started looking like the rest of us, wide awake and ready for anything.

“For now, you will practice some forms,” Splinter ordered. “Leo, you will tell them which one to work on.”

Leo nodded and told us which forms to practice. He even did a small demonstration to make sure we remembered which was which. We practiced each form at least ten to twenty times, depending on what we needed help with. It was mostly Sophie who needed the help, trying to get it correct.

The last form we did, Raph began to speed it up. He turned to Leo, “What, are you fighting a guy in slow motion?”

“I would be quicker,” Leo growled. “If I wanted to get my form wrong, like you.”

“Sometimes taking your time is good,” Naomi nodded, finishing the form in slow motion. “But it’s also swell to do in quick timing as well.” and then did it quickly, ending with a jump kick for fun.

Raph looked at Naomi then at Leo. “Well at least I try the hardest!”

Leo and Raph glared at each other before the started fighting with each other. We all got out of the way as they began attacking one another. Splinter came forth and pressed their pressure points on their neck, bringing them to the front.

“Competition is good,” Splinter said. “Until you use it against on another. You will now pair up.”

“Alright,” Leo said. “I’ll take Donn--”

“You, Leonardo, will take Raphael. You must learn to work together.”

Leo and Raph looked a little shocked then Raph scoffed, “Sensei, are you sure that’s fair?”

“Why do you say that?” Donnie asked.

“How do I put this lightly?” Raph mumbled. “We’re way better than you.”

Mikey scoffed and crossed his arms. “At fighting, maybe.”

“That’s what I meant.”

“Hey…” Mikey growled.

Sophie raised her hand, “What about us girls?”

Splinter looked at them, “Sophia and Mikito, you can take Donatello and Michelangelo’s side. Naomi with Raphael and Leonardo.”

Naomi and I were pleased with our choices, but Sophie looked a little crushed. That gave me an idea with what was going through the whole group. Feelings shared and feelings crossed.

We each looked at each other. Raph, Leo, Naomi were waiting to fight us, Mikey, me, Sophie, and Donnie. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea…

“Hajame!” Splinter ordered.