Chapter 1

Trial day. I, Liliana Peters, lawyer for the Plaintiff of a murder case that is sweeping the nation. Today was the final day of the trial. "Can the jury please release the verdict?" The judge said. A woman stood up, and she unfolded the paper. This case can go either way. The plaintiff has brought evidence that we need for this case, but the defendant has a really good way of covering up the problem, plus the lawyer played hard, but I played harder. "In the case of Hawthorne versus Rutherford, we the jury find the defendant guilty.." a sudden feeling of relief hit my heart. "...of second degree murder." Once the jury finished reading the verdict, the judge began to speak. "Mr. Rutherford, you have been found guilty in this trial, do you have any words?" "I have been falsely accused." He said. "I sentence you to 37 years in the men's correctional facility in Los Angeles. This court is adjourned." The judged slammed his gavel and left the court room. I hugged the plaintiff, congratulating him on his justice. I began to pack my bags until my phone rang. "Liliana Peters." I answered. "Lily! Come quick! Its an emergency." It was my sister, Miriam. "Mimi! What's wrong!?" I asked in a panic. "Just come over! Now!" The phone hung up. I quickly put everything into my bag and made a quick dash to Miriam's house.