Chapter 41

We pulled up in front of Bruno's house. There was no sign of a second person here. I have a better chance at getting him back. I knocked on the door. Minutes went by, and no one answered. I rang the door, and still no answer. His car was in the drive way, he's here. I put my hand on the doorknob, and unlocked? Why is his front door unlocked? I waved to Miriam that she can leave. I'll take the bus home if I have to. I closed and locked the door. I looked around and everything seemed normal. I remained quiet. I walked into his bed room, empty. I walked into the kitchen, empty. Where else could he possibly be? The music room? The room where Bruno and I have the strongest memory. I walked there and I saw him. His face was laying amongst the black and white keys. He looked dead, the way he was positioned, but there was a glass at the edge of the piano. He's been drinking. When he drinks he sleeps. That's all. I walked up to him and tapped his shoulder. He didn't wake up. Just to check I put my index and middle finger on his neck to catch a pulse. Good, he's alive, just knocked out by alcohol. I wrapped his arm around my shoulder and picked up his bulky, large body. His feet caught the floor, but most of the time he dragged them, making it harder for me. I finally made it to his room and I flopped his body onto it. He's going to be throwing up soon, and if not, hangover. But I'm here, right by his side, and I think that's all he ever wanted.