Fifty Four

I stroll into the bar. All eyes were on me as I walked in. I held my head up high and headed to the counter. I take a seat next to this brunette. I just sit there. Waiting.

"What can I get you?" The bartender asks me. He was cleaning a glass with a dishrag. That didn't look sanitary. I shake my head. "Nothing, just trying to clear my head." I smile. "Well if you decide to get something just holler." He says leaving.

"Who comes to a bar and doesn't drink?" The brunette next to me slurs. She faces me. "Obviously me. Does that bother you?" I snap. Her face went from confusion, to having a huge smirk. She changes stools and sits closer. She all of a sudden seemed very interested. "Well someone has an attitude. What's troubling you?"

This is all strange to me. Does she really care? She doesn't know me. I feel like telling her. Spilling my guts and saying what's on my mind. "I don't think I can talk about it." I mumble. She signals the bartender. He slides to small glasses of brown liquor towards her. "Here this will help. Besides bars are made to tell others your issues over a drink." She laughs sliding the glass to me. "I don't drink. I never have actually." I sigh, sliding it back and forth between my hands. "Honey you need one. Here." She gives me a lemon. She demonstrates for me. "There's always a first to everything, right?"

Maybe one won't be so bad. I mimic her actions.

The liquor was strong. It left a burning sensation down my throat into the pit of my stomach. I cough hysterically. "That's it. How'd it feel?" I nod my head. "Great."

Honestly it did. Strange but welcoming. "Joe another round for me and my friend here-" she looks at me, "Jade." I answer. He brings us two more glasses. The brunette stops him from taking the bottle. "We are going to need this." I laugh. I feel giddy and childish inside. Everything seems amusing.

"I'm Beth. Are you ready to tell me what's on your mind now?" I down another shot of liquor, this time it's more soothing.

"Yes."

She pours us each another glass. "It's just that I've been asked to leave people I care about. This guy I'm datings management thinks it would be best if I left and that he would be better off because I'm a distraction."

"Sounds uptight and controlling."

"Your telling me." I down my drink. "He is struggling, anger wise. I've been trying to help him. That's what they hired me to do afterwards. I did it regardless because I had feelings for him. From the start I knew I felt something. From the moment I saw him across the room that night in the hotel but I just didn't want to admit it."

"Sounds like you're in a bind. Are you going to listen to his management?"

"I have too. For their sake, even if it kills me."

"I think you should tell that snob to fuck off and worry about his own life." I nod. "You should really think about it?"

"I have that's why I agreed. I don't have the best history which affects them and so do all my decisions." I sigh. Twirling the glass around my finger.

"I think you should do what you think is right. What is your heart is telling you? If you care about him, and this is the only way then I say do it."

I start to laugh at my predicament. "Thanks." She basically brought me back to the beginning. I've gotten no where but have had a few drinks down the way.

I grab the bottle and take a swig. I laugh even more. It seemed like the music has gotten louder. "You need to let loose, especially with your life." Beth shouts over the music. So it has gotten louder.