Chapter 8

WHEN I OPEN MY EYES, I SEE A WHITE LIGHT.

Am I dead? 

What happened?

I don't remember a thing that happened. I look around the room and see that my mom and sister are sleeping in the chairs to the right of me.

"Mom? Adeline?" I whisper over to them. Adeline twitches a little, and then slowly starts to wake up.  

"Oh, my God! You are okay!" She says, running over to me. She hugs me lightly to make sure she doesn't hurt me. 

"What happened?" I ask, dazed. 

"You don't remember?" 

I just stare at her. Giving her the hint that I clearly don't remember. 

She sighs. "I don't know if you tried to kill yourself, but you cut yourself really deep and, well, you almost died." 

I quickly become aware of it all. I remember it all so vividly now. "I'm such an idiot!"  I yell, but then cover my mouth.

"No, you aren't." She says.

As we sit there and talk, I remember it all. It's almost time for school to start again, and that means Jonah will be back soon. Then the moment of truth will finally come to the center. We will see if he wants to be with me or not.

My mom wakes up and sits up in the chair. "Baby," she whispers, walking over to me, "you're okay." I hug her so tight, letting her know I'm sorry for scaring her. 

"What in the world happened to make you feel this way?" She asks, looking deep into my eyes. 

I begin to tear up. "Mom," I mumble, "I'm such a fuck up. I fell for this guy and he has a girlfriend and it is all wrong. Just all wrong." The tears start pouring down my face. 

"It's okay." She runs her fingers through my hair and rubs my shoulder. 

"I'm glad you are alright." Mom and Adeline say at the same time. 

"I didn't want to die. I just wanted to be happy. To relieve any stress or sadness in me." 

They nod their head and that was the end of it all.

                                                                        ***

SIX DAYS LATER, I was emitted from the hospital. I'm happy I'll finally get to go back home. During the time I was in the hospital, I found happiness in myself and let all the sadness fade away. I'm supposed to be supervised for awhile and not allowed to be home alone. 

When we arrive home, I head straight to the kitchen. "I'm so hungry." I say.  

Mom and Adeline laughed.  

"I'll whip something up, okay?" My mom says.  

Adeline and I head upstairs to talk. As we walk in her room, she shuts the door behind her. 

"You know, right?" She says, walking over to her bed. 

"About?"  

"Jonah is back. I told him about everything that happened, and he said he wants to visit you." 

"Oh," I look down and pick the lint off of her blanket, "will that be good to do?" 

"I think so." She says. 

I sit there thinking about what to do, not knowing what to say. 

"Tomorrow. I'll bring him over and let you two talk, okay?"  

I nod my head. "I hope this goes well." I say. 

"Me, too." She retorts. 

We finish our conversation and then head back downstairs to eat dinner. As I finish my dinner, I decide to do all of the dishes for once. After washing and drying the dishes, I head back up to my room and I'm completely whipped. Today was a long day, and tomorrow will be scary. 

That night, I dream of him. I dream of him telling me that he never really liked me. He decided that he wanted to stay with his girlfriend. It was a total nightmare. I didn't know if it was a nightmare, that's how vivid the dream was.

When I wake up, I smell a familiar smell that I used to know so well.

"Hey." A soft, beautiful voice says to me. 

I squint my eyes and look straight ahead.

There he was.

I flew up in bed and just look at him. 

"Are you okay?" He asks.  

"Yeah," I reply, "you scared me!" 

He smirked. "I'm sorry." He hugs me, and I hug him back, tightly. 

We look into one another's eyes and I can't help but smile.  

"So, I heard about all of it." He looks at me and frowns. "Why?" 

"Long story." I reply.  

"I have time. All the time in the world." He says in the most sweetest voice ever. 

I can't help but feel so warm and amazing inside. "Everything happened so quickly between us, and when you left me and told me  all that was happening, I felt like I was in a nightmare. I didn't eat, I didn't even want to get out of bed." 

He grabbed a hold of my hand and held it, tightly.

"I'm so sorry, Alex."  he says with a disappointed look on his face.

"It's fine." I say back, bringing his hand up and kiss it. 

We just look at one another. I smirk a little. 

"There's one thing I have to do." Jonah says, looking at me. 

I sit there, confused. "Wh-" he cuts me off with a kiss.

A kiss all too familiar to me.

A kiss that I missed, and haven't tasted in quite some time. 

He chose me over that girl. 

This changes everything. I'm getting the man of my dreams.