Thanksgiving (Part 1)

I KNOW THIS IS A FEW DAYS LATE AND I APOLIGIZE BUT I JUST WANTED TO DO THIS TO SAY HAPPY THANKSGIVING! I WOULD HAVE DONE IT ON THANKSGIVING BUT I WAS TOO BUSY STUDYING FOR EXAMS SO IM REALLY SORRY! THIS IS FOR ALL MY FOLLOWERS AND READERS WHO CELEBRATE THANKSGIVING! I DON'T CELEBRATE THANKSGIVING BUT I KNOW I AM THANKFUL FOR BEING SO LUCKY TO HAVE SUCH SUPPORTIVE AND KIND READERS AS WELL AS FOLLOWERS! ENJOY THIS ONE-SHOT! EM IS OUT

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KATNISS POV:

I wake up to find myself free of Peeta's arms that were once wrapped around me before my eyes came to a close last night. Suddenly my nostrils are greeted with a mouth-watering smell of turkey then I remember. Today is thanksgiving. It's the fifth year we have celebrated it. It started before the dark days but after that it was forgotten about when starvation came over the districts and people were living on scraps there was no way such a feast could be held, not even every 5 years never mind every year. It was never something anyone could afford therefore it immediately vanished when the dark days ended. Now since it has returned it is a huge day in Panem. All the districts feast together and give thanks with one another. Its a day we all highly enjoy and something I wish my whole family could have celebrated once. The occasion only began to be celebrated again 5 years ago, 11 years after the rebellion.

 I push myself up in the bed with the tip of my elbows. I then swing my legs out the side of the bed and rub my eyes. I walk into the bathroom and slip off my nightgown before having a quick shower. Once I emerge I put on a beautiful green dress I got a few months back. I slip my feet into my black pumps as I know I'm terrible at walking in heels and let down my hair as it is finally dry. My curls instantly fall past my shoulders nearly to my hip. I push them out of my face and look at myself in the mirror. The first thing my eyes focus on is my bump. Since I'm only 5 months pregnant its not too huge but definitely noticeable. It's not an unfamiliar moment as this is my second pregnancy, four years after our first child Willow was born. I rest my hand on the stomach and sigh while moving my palm slowly around the swollen bump as I rest my free hand on my aching back. I then straighten my dress, take a deep breath and walk out of the room. I take my time walking down the stairs as my back aches. I walk into the kitchen downstairs to find Peeta with an apron wrapped tightly around him and his casuals as well as his face coated in layers of flour and other ingredients. I can't help but laugh from behind him. He turns around from his work and looks at me.

"Morning"

He says with a smile before cleaning his hands with a towel. I reply

"Good morning. You're doing cooking early"

As he walks over to me he says

"No such thing as getting cooking done early"

I let out a small laugh. I drape my arms across his shoulders as he puts his arms around my waist and pulls me close. My bump gets in the way so we are not as close as we would have hoped but I don't care. Just his touch gives me a satisfying warmth that could last a lifetime. His forehead is pressed against mine as He says softly

"How'd you sleep?"

I look into his deep blue eyes and say

"Alright"

I know it's a lie. I spend nearly every night now laying away worrying about the baby. I don't wake Peeta as I know if I do he will stay up the entire night with me and the next day when he's half sleepwalking I will feel extremely guilty. I ask him

"Have ye eaten?"

When I say ye I am referring to Willow, Peeta immediately picks that up and replies