Thirty Eight

Demi held Joe's hand as she led him through into the house, he wasn't smoking now Demi having the packet of cigarettes in her bag. Joe still thought he was Demi and Emily's mother. She had been careful around him not knowing much about this alter much, she didn't want him to harm their baby even if she was nearly fifteen weeks along and not huge yet. Complications could still happen if he were to lash out. Demi led the way into the living room with Joe, he let go of her hand when he saw Emily sat down.

"Ah Emily it's nice to see you." He kissed both her cheeks leaving her confused, Demi explained by a whisper in her ear.

"Mom what's your name? I want to sign your name in a birthday card." Emily questioned.

"Silly girl, don't you know your own mother's name?" Joe begun. "It's Gabriella, sign as Gabby." He demanded sitting down on the couch. Demi and Emily could see how uncomfortable Denise and Nick were but it was something they would have to get used to. It was hard for them to see the cuts on his arms which had healed well. He was going through a lot at the moment and they could see that just by Joe being her for a minute. It was just as hard for them to see as it was for Demi and Emily Joe crossed his leg over his other like a lot of women do looking over Denise and Nick.

"I'm Denise and this is my son Nick." Denise introduced leaning over shaking his hand as he wanted to Nick doing the same.

"I'm Gabby, " Joe stated looking up at Demi. "Sit down sweetie, it's not good for the baby." Demi sighed sitting down next to him taking hold of his hand.

"How long do they usually stay for?" Nick slightly whispered to Emily.

"It depends on the personality so I can't say, Matt doesn't stay long but Joey has stayed for an hour up to now." She answered.

"My first grandchild!" Joe grinned laying a hand on Demi's small bump, Demi couldn't help but let the tears build up in her eyes. She never imagined welcoming a baby into the world and his or her's father being like this.

Gabby stayed for forty five minutes before Joe became distant and came back looking around at his surroundings slightly collapsing back on the couch Demi rubbing his leg gently. It was becoming tiring for him to be doing this all the time.

"New personality, mine and Emily's mom," Demi breathed Joe nodding his head his eyes not helping but looking over at his mother and brother. "I-I just need a minute." He got up and wondered into the kitchen wanting to get himself together before he thought about speaking to them.

"Will he be okay?" Nick questioned concerned.

"He's often tired when he comes back but he will be, it's a lot for him to take in you both being here so we'll give him a minute then I'm sure he'll come to talk." Emily assured them as she noted down Joe's new personality.

"I'm Demi, Joe's girlfriend." She introduced now she had the moment, they both greeted her back. They were relieved that he did have some support that even Demi was with him even though he was going through what he was.

"Do you think you can drop this off with Harvey when you go to pick Kean up?" Emily questioned holding out the paper which Demi took.

"Of course," she begun looking up at the clock. "I think I'll have to go now, tell Joe to call me later. Kean will want to speak to him, make sure he's okay." Demi said her goodbyes to everyone wanting to leave Joe while he was thinking. Emily got up standing in the doorway of the kitchen watching as Joe was leant over the counter thinking.

"Joe are you ready?" Joe nodded his head slightly taking her hand as they both entered the living room. "I'll go check on El while you all speak." Joe sat down as Emily left heading upstairs.