Chapter 45

-KATIE’S POV-

“Are Harry, Lauren, and Lillie here yet?” I wondered as we pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant all of the funeral attendees were having lunch at.

“I don’t know. We should probably just go inside.” Niall suggested as he turned off the car.

“Yeah,” I agreed.

He took my hand as we neared the doors, joining the group inside. We searched the room for seats; Zayn, Perrie, Danielle, and Liam had a booth, Eleanor and Louis had a table for two with a high chair pulled up for Ed, and Harry, Lauren, and Lillie hadn’t arrived yet.

“Oh, let’s sit over there.” Niall pointed towards an empty booth. We sat down, scanning the menus as we waited for the three to arrive. I heard someone’s footsteps nearing the table and assumed it was Lauren or Harry but was surprised to see a different woman. I had only met Ms. Rolland a few times but the middle-aged woman shared many of her physical features. Along with her was a man who I assumed was her husband.

“Excuse me, sorry to bother you but there aren’t any seats. Do you mind if we sit here?” The woman asked.

“Oh, of course,” I instantly replied. Niall looked up from the menu, greeting them with his cute smile.

“Thank you!” She said. “I’m Halli and this is my husband, Peter.”

“Hi,” Peter added.

“It’s nice to meet you! I’m Katie and he’s Niall, my boyfriend.” I introduced us.

“It’s wonderful to meet you two as well!” Halli’s ringtone began blaring and she whipped out her phone from her pocket, an anxious expression crossing her face. “Jason and I have to take this, we’ll be right back.” The two exited the restaurant in a rush. I wonder what that was all about.

The bell over top of the restaurant door dinged, notifying everyone someone had entered. I looked towards the entrance to see Lauren, red faced and puffy-eyed, with Lillie and Harry by her side. I waved her over and she forced a smile as she came.

“Hi,” Lauren greeted us.

“Hey!” I replied, trying to sound cheerful hoping it’d rub off on them. I felt terrible for their loss. I’d barely known Ms. Rolland but the few times I had the pleasure of being in her presence, I got to know a woman who I believe is one of the kindest people ever to walk the Earth.

“How long have you guys been here?” Lauren questioned.

“Um, only about 10 minutes or so. Do you guys want to sit down?” I offered.

“Yeah, thanks.” Lauren accepted, letting Lillie slide in first before she and Harry followed.

“Another couple was sitting here but they had to answer a phone call and it seemed like it’d be awhile.”

“We can get up when they get back.”

“That’s okay, we’ll just give them our seats!”

“You don’t have to do that.”

“But we want to.” I promised.

-LAUREN’S POV-

Everyone was being so kind. I really appreciated it but it wasn’t necessary. People are born and people die… and life goes on. It’s a brutal cycle that cannot be escaped, only accepted.

“This is all big people food.” Lillie whined from beside me.

“Where is the kids’…” I looked to my left to find Harry flipping pages in the kiddie menu.