Chapter 36

“Eh em.”

My eyes flickered open to find a nurse standing over me.

“Good morning. I have to do a few tests before we can release you if you don’t mind.” The petite blonde woman said in an impatient tone.

“Oh yes, of course.”

“Your husband cannot be in the bed during this time.”

I felt myself blushing as I turned to see Harry innocently sleeping. I gently shook him. The only reaction I received was the turning of his head as he avoided the human alarm. I ruffled his curls, finally getting a response. He groaned as he forced himself to a sitting position, not noticing the nurse glaring at him. She cleared her throat, gaining his attention.

“Oh, sorry!” He apologized, scurrying from the bed.

The nurse mumbled something under her breath as she began the tests.

“Woah woah woah… is that a needle?” I squeaked, noticing the pointy thing she was preparing.

“Yes, we need a blood sample.”

“I really don’t think that’s necessary.”

“I think it is.”

“I don’t.”

“I do.”

“How about you pretend you did it and I pretend I got it so we all win?”

“How about you stay still or I call for backup nurses to hold you down?”

“For some reason I don’t think you should be a nurse.”

Harry put his hand over mine, lightly squeezing it. “Lauren, how about you just let her take your blood?”

“You should listen to your husband.” The nurse remarked with an evil grin.

“Do you want to know what you should do?”

“Lauren, not now.” Harry hissed under his breath.

The nurse snapped on the latex gloves before closing the distance between us. She wrenched my arm from my lap as she scrubbed it with water and put alcohol over it. I dug my nails into Harry’s bicep and hid my face in Harry’s neck as the moment of pain grew nearer. She tapped the little tube with her gangly, fake nails before jamming it into my arm. A squeal escaped my lips as the point of the needle disappeared beneath my skin. After what seemed like an endless amount of time she yanked it out and smacked a cheap, your-skin-will-be-ripped-off-the-second-you-remove-it band-aid over the tiny wound.

“You have to fill out these papers and take them to the front desk to be released,” Were the nurses departing words.

“She should be fired,” I spit through my teeth.

“Babe, I agree with you but you might want to be more careful with your words next time someone is towering over you with a stabbing tool in her grasp.”

“That’s a good point.” I realized, scribbling down information on the forms on my lap. “Okay, I’m ready to go.”

Harry stole one of the papers from me, grinning as he looked at it, “This isn’t legible.”

“Yeah it is… that says that my name is… oh, wait a second…” I turned my head sideways, trying to see the paper from a different, hopefully better, perspective.

 “It doesn’t matter. It kind of looks like a doctor’s handwriting actually.”

“Just call me Dr. Styles.” I said sarcastically. “Come on, I’m ready to go home.”