Chapter 76

-LAUREN’S POV-

“Harry, I really don’t know about this Subway train thing. What if the doors close before I get on?” I questioned, eyeing the dangerously fast carts as they sped back and forth on the tracks before me.

Harry sighed, “Babe, for the billionth time… we are in Chicago. This is a city where hundreds, probably thousands, of people ride on the ‘Subway train thing’ everyday. You will be perfectly fine. When the doors open, get on quick, and I will be right behind you.”

“But what if I’m too slow…”

“Lauren, please,” Harry groaned.

Suddenly one of the trains screeched to a stop in front of us, the doors flying open as people piled on. Harry urged me towards the doors, keeping a hand on my back as we both boarded. The seats were full, leaving Harry and I to cling to one of the poles. Harry intertwined our legs in a way to prevent either of us from falling. My nerves subsided once I was safely on the train and it was time for me to focus on Harry’s fears. I tried to keep Harry’s attention during the ride with interesting signs and buildings outside the window, distracting him from the heights. Each time the train made a stop, either Harry or I would slam into each other, catching one another’s falls.

“I think I kind of life this train thing,” I decided as we exited our cart.

Harry laughed, “I wonder who predicted you would say that.”

I rolled my eyes, playfully shoving his shoulder, “Shush!”

Harry grinned as he always did at my pathetically appropriate vocabulary.

“I think we should get lunch,” he suggested as he placed a hand over his stomach.

“Me too,” I agreed. Our fingers intertwined as we walked around the city, peeking in the windows of the unique little shops and cafes dotting the sidewalks. “There’s a cute little place right there to eat.”

“Well, if it’s cute then the food must be good,” Harry said sarcastically.

“Not funny!”

Harry grinned, “Should I shush up?”

I shook my head at Harry, ignoring his comment as I pulled him towards the chalkboard sign containing a fancily written quote.

“Wait a sec,” Harry said, my body springing backwards as he came to an abrupt halt. Harry bent down to insert two quarters into the newspaper machine, grabbing a paper once the little glass door unlocked. Harry shrugged his shoulders as he explained, “We need something to do while we eat.”

We entered the tiny café filled with avid readers and busy bloggers sipping coffee and enjoying the serene atmosphere. Harry and I ordered hot chocolates and chocolate chip muffins like the healthy people we are. We seated ourselves at a two chaired table near a window, blowing on our hot chocolate to cool down our steaming drinks. I swiped a bit of whip cream from the top, putting the tip of my finger into my mouth. I looked up to see Harry staring at me, causing me to blush.

“What?” I wondered.

“Nothing, you’re just cute,” he replied.

“Thank you.”

Harry’s eyes widened as he put a hand to his chest, adding to his dramatic, “Did you, Lauren Styles, just accept a compliment without giving one back?”

“It took a lot of me to do that.”

“I’m so proud that I just might cry.”

“Hold the tears paper boy. So what exactly did you plan on doing with the newspaper?”