Chapter 72

-KATIE’S POV-

I groaned, turning over in the makeshift bed we had thrown together on the floor the previous night. I looked over to see Niall sleeping peacefully, covered up by nothing more than a sheet. I should be happy right now. I should be more than happy, I should feel right. Sadly I felt everything but. The prior night our bus mates arranged to find different sleeping arrangements so Niall and I could share our first night together. I expected the physical pain aspect of the experience, but not the mental. I neither regretted the night nor who I shared it with. I was just extremely uncomfortable at this point. When you have sex with just a guy, it leaves you physically vulnerable. When you share your first time with someone you truly love, it leaves you physically and emotionally vulnerable. I had never shared an experience like that before and to be honest, I was embarrassed at this point. I had no idea what I was doing. What if I did it wrong? What if he’s decided he doesn’t find me sexually attractive? What if my lack of experience came off as unreadiness and immaturity?

Forcing my thoughts to take a break, I decided to get dressed to give myself time to think. I carefully stood up, stepping around the messy blankets to reach my bed. I grabbed a pair of sweatpants, a sports bra, and my hoodie, going to the bathroom to change. I yanked a brush through my snarly hair and brushed my teeth before

exiting the bathroom. Niall sat on the bed, now dressed in sweat pants.

"Hey babe," he greeted me with a warm smile.

"Hi," I replied uneasily, unsure of how to react, “I’m going to go get a coffee."

"We have a coffee pot in the bus," Niall laughed, clearly not understanding what I meant.

"I know, I just want a bit of fresh air."

"Here, let me just put on my shoes and I’ll join you," Niall offered, standing up beside me.

I placed a hand on his chest, hesitating at even that simple gesture, “It’s okay, I need a few minutes alone."

"Babe… Katie… Talk to me. Please." Niall came forward, attempting to pull me into a hug. I backed away and he followed, and I knew he wouldn’t give up. In a last ditch effort to escape, I spun around and did the last overly dramatic girl move I had left… I ran away. To make it worse, I continued running even when Niall chased me. Once I was inside the venue backstage where I knew the rest of the band already was, I saw a staircase and took it as my getaway. I climbed to the top, watching as Niall sprinted past it. After 5 minutes past with no sign of Niall, I breathed a sigh of relief. I took in my surroundings, realizing this was the staircase leading to the lights that topped the stage. I looked down, clinging to the rail as I realized the height I was from the ground. I watched as the boys began practicing for their upcoming performance, working with the stage managers to arrange each set. A tap on the shoulder caused me to jump.

"Excuse me, sorry to interrupt. I have to fix a few lights up here. I respect if you want to stay up here but it probably isn’t the safest place," the technician suggested.

"Sorry, I was just on my way down."

I climbed down, praying for Niall to remain onstage. As I walked away from the staircase I bumped into Lauren and Danielle.

"Hey, where’ve you been all morning?" Lauren questioned, holding a steaming cup of coffee in her hands.

"Inspecting staircases. The one that leads to the stage lights seems to be in tip top shape."

"Awesome. Is there a reason you’ve been ditching Niall for stairs?"

"Kinda."

"Explain," Danielle demanded.