Chapter 29

“Thank you so much for the bike!” Lillie squealed as we stood in front of Ms. Rolland’s door.

“You are very welcome!” I said. Ms. Rolland opened the door and greeted us happily.

“Did Lillie tell you about her new friend?” Ms. Rolland asked.

“She sure did.” I answered. “If you’d be okay with it we were going to walk her over there now.”

“That’d be wonderful. Just let his mother know to call me whenever Lillie should come home!”

“I will. Come on Lillie, show us the way.” Lillie grabbed mine and Harry’s hands and led us down the hallway. After passing two apartment buildings and one condo building, we finally stopped at the fourth one which was also a condo building. Lillie knocked frantically on the hard wood.

“I’ll be right there!” I heard a kind woman’s voice call from inside the house. Quick footsteps came near us and soon the door was opened. A slim, shorter woman dressed in nice clothing greeted us. She had long blonde hair that hung in curls around her head with bright blue eyes. A little boy who resembled his mother’s appearance ran up beside her.

“Hello Lillie! You must be Harry and Lauren! I’m Molly.” She introduced herself and held out her hand for each of us to shake.

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you!” I smiled.

“And this here is Blake.” The little boy brushed his shaggy hair from his face and waved to us shyly. “Would you two like to come in for coffee?”

We accepted her offer and she showed us to the kitchen. Granite top counters and dark coffee colored cabinets. The steel fridge was large. Their kitchen also contained a nice sink, dishwasher, stove/oven, and microwave as well. There was a nice mahogany table as well which she directed us to as she made the coffee.

“Here are some fresh cookies I just baked!” She smiled kindly while she set the plate on the table. “I’ll be right back, I have to go wake my other son from his nap!”

We all enjoyed the cookies while Lillie and Blake told us about their favorite games to play. Molly came down the stairs carrying a little boy who was sleepily rubbing his eyes as he rested his head on his mother’s shoulder.

“This is my other little man, Bentley.” She said as she set him down. His cheeks flushed with red and he smiled before running over to his toys. Soon Lillie and Blake joined him and it was just us adults left at the table.

“Are Blake and Bentley your only two?” I asked.

“Yup. We might have more eventually but right now our hands our full with just those two.” She laughed.

“Are you a stay at home mom?”

“No, I’m a preschool teacher actually. My husband, Aaron, is a high school history teacher and he coaches the track and football team too, that’s why he’s not home yet.” Molly explained.

“That’s really great that you are both teachers.” I always found it adorable when couples had similar jobs and hobbies.

“Having the same work hours is nice because we get to be together as a family more often. Are little ones in your future anytime soon?” She asked us.

I bit my lip, reminding myself that not everyone knew the loss we had endured. It never got less painful, just easier to handle. “We definitely want children at some point.” I answered. I heard Harry breathe a sigh of relief that we’d made it through the question.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I completely forgot that the band and I have an important meeting tonight!” Harry said somewhat flustered.

“We should probably get going.” I added.