Chapter 47

I screamed at the top of my lungs, kicking and punching against the heavy body weighing me down. The ring of laughter shocked my ears… not just any laugh… Harry’s laugh. I was going to kill him.

“You are such a jerk!” I shouted as he climbed off of me. Harry chuckled and collapsed onto the couch, the dip of the cushions causing me to fall into him.

“If you want, I can leave again…” He offered with a smirk. I grasped his arm, holding it as tightly as I could.

“Don’t even think about it.”

Harry grinned and put his arm around me, pulling me close to him. I curled up to him, sighing as I took in the heat radiating from his body. Gentle lips brushed against the top of my head as his hands trailed along the length of my arms.

“You’re freezing.” He cupped his hands around mine and blew his warm breath into them. “Any better?”

“Very. The only problem is my lips are still cold…”

Harry grinned and leaned in, his lips hovering over mine as he teased me. “Are they?” Harry chuckled once more at my frustration before giving in.

“Since your hands and lips are warm, why don’t you go get us plates?”

“You mean from inside the house?”

“I’m pretty sure those are the only ones unless you’ve been stashing backup ones outside.”

I lightly bit my bottom lip, weighing my chances of making it in and out of the house alive. After I get scared, my imagination tends to leave me terrified for hours if not days. Therefore the scary movies I watch are far and few between. I eye the door and noticed it seemed pretty far from here… at least 10 feet. A lot can happen in 10 feet.

“Are you scared?”

“No!” I stood up and walked to the door, pausing as I reached for the door knob. I sighed in defeat and turned around, a wide grin appearing on Harry’s face as he got up to join me.

“Do you realize you’re still shaking?” His hands wrapped around my arms, holding me steady. “Babe, I’d protect you from anything, don’t worry.”

“I’m not good with scary.”

“I’ve noticed… which only makes it more fun.” I glared at Harry and he laughed. “Come on.”

I opened the cupboard and hung on tightly as I balanced on my tippy toes. I peered over the shelf, no paper plates in sight.

“I’ve got you.” Without warning Harry maneuvered me onto his shoulders. I clung to his curls, hearing him wince as I steadied myself.

“Sorry.” I apologized for the pain I was causing him.

“It’s fine. Do you see the plates?”

“Um… n- oh! I found them!” I stretched my arm to the very back where the plates were hiding behind stacks of cups. I leaned forward a tad bit and let go of the cupboard door for a moment as the plates were a further distance than I realized. As I finally had my fingers on the plastic surrounding the pack of them, I began to wobble. My upper body fell forward, as my legs were still in Harry’s tight grip, and a banging sound was heard as my forehead collided with the shelf’s edge.

“Lauren, are you okay?!” Harry asked worriedly. He bent down, allowing me to slide down to the counter top.

“Mhm… wait, what?” I wondered as I rubbed the bump rising on my forehead. Harry’s large hands engulfed my head as they held it firmly in place while he inspected the damage. Harry’s thumb pressed down on my forehead and his mouth moved and he silently counted.  “What are you doing?” Why were Harry’s hands on my head?