The Rockstar Within Me - Chapter 9

Copyright 2011

It was 10 o'clock. Shatter had an early soundcheck because River was doing something with his fan club that would be done in the small auditorium. It was brutal waking up for everyone. We all had some degrees of a hangover. Mine and Drew's looked to be one of the better ones (if there was such a thing) and Mason had one of the worst. It looked like Jess was still drunk since she was her usual bubbly self. I had only seen River once this morning when he had woken me up, but from what I saw he was suffering a bit. 

Shatter had pretty much given up on soundcheck. We had somehow all ended up laying on our backs on the stage floor looking up to the rafters. We were in a loose circle and we chatted about random things not really worrying about all too much. 

I kept reliving last night especially the time River and I spent together. It freaked me out that I went along with it. My cheeks flushed with how rash and foolish I had been. Sure it was fun. And sure it surpassed everything I had expected in my drunken state, but I was only in this relationship because I had to be in it. Why was I going above and beyond what was asked of me? It was like i thought I would get extra credit for making out with him. 

I heard Jeff walk out on stage before I turned my head and saw him. He stood, tattooed arms crossed over his chest, smiling cruelly at us, knowing we were all nursing a bad headache. 

"Have fun last night?" He asked innocently. 

We all grumbled to ourselves, none of us really answering him. 

He chuckled to himself, enjoying this far too much. 

"Well, just wanted to let you know that the video of you," He nudged my leg with his shoe. "and River has been sent out to a few Internet gossip sites. So expect some flack from that." 

I rolled on to one of my elbows and looked at him confused. 

"I thought the camera crew was taping for a behind the scenes bit?"

Jeff shrugged, not too concerned. 

"Yeah, they were, but you're agents are still putting the clip out their, for the world to see. Any publicity is good publicity." He chimed. 

I nodded to myself, finally understanding that saying. It wouldn't matter what River did, there was always amazing feedback from his fans, who always thought he was a genius and nothing sort of the second coming of Jesus. For one of the first times, I wondered what they would think of me. Would they approve? My stomach twisted with the sudden need to be accepted by his fan base. These kids had made him what he was; they were beyond devoted and he owed them big time. I wondered if the community would welcome me with open arms or not. My guess was the ladder. 

As if some cruel joke, the auditorium was suddenly filled with babbling voices. We all sat up and watched as twenty to thirty teens and a few parents filed in. They all were jumping around, excitement making them giggle and scream. 

"Okay, shows over folks. Get out of here." Jeff muttered to us, again nudging my leg, hinting we leave. 

These must be the few lucky fans that were able to meet River before the show tonight. This meet and greet was why we had our "soundcheck" early. 

Slowly, we managed to stand up, brushing off our clothes. 

"OH MY GOD. It's her!" A high pitched voice squealed. 

"And look, its the rest of the band!" Another voice shouted. 

We turned, confused at who they were talking about. I was met by staring faces, that were pressed up against the stage, all taking pictures and trying to get our attention.