The Rock Star Within Me - Chapter 30

Copyright 2013

Bless my family for their undying support for me. From the get go, my parents believed me when I said I was going to pursue a music career and have never once doubted me. Many other parents would have scoffed and then dismissed the very idea, that’s what happened to Jess. Her parents just thought she was going through a phase and part of me thinks that they still think that. They remind Jess every couple of weeks that it’s never too late to apply to college and even go so far to say that a we’ll be washed up in a couple of years. It hurts Jess, I can tell that’s why I’m so thankful my parents give me all the support I can ask for.

As soon as River and I sat down in on a couch in my living room my mother went into a full-blown questionnaire that she had obviously been anticipating over. 

“What are the sleeping arrangements like?”

“What are you eating on the road?”

“Is it true that you ran away from the venue?”

“Are you eating your vitamins?” 

It was just question after question, even if she had already asked it before. My mom was so excited for me that she could barely contain herself.

Of course, my siblings, Luke and Carly, were curious too but their questions were directed at River and a bit more abstract.

 “Do fans ever like try to attack you?”

“How much free stuff do you get?”

“Can you sign my CD?” 

I glared at my sister when she asked the last one. She looked back innocently, confused at what was so wrong about that. 

River caught my disapproving look.

“Don’t worry about it, I don’t mind.” He bumped my shoulder with his own, smiling, attempting to calm me down. 

At 11:30 and after my brother stifled a yawn, my mom ordered my siblings to go to bed.

“You two have school tomorrow. Don’t think just because your sister is here you get to skip.”

They both groaned loudly and made halfhearted attempts but ultimately just gave up.

They pulled themselves away and up to their bedrooms. I got up too and stretched, mimicking that I was tired too. Realistically, I had slept the whole afternoon on the plane and was used to being up until 3 or 4 am but I needed a break from my mother’s constant questions. 

My dad remained relatively quiet throughout the entire conversation. He had always been the reserved type but when he did speak you took what he said so much more seriously.

Part of me was terrified because my dad couldn't stop looking at River and I. Granted we were the center of attention but my dad seemed a lot more skeptical. He was wary, like all dads should be when their daughter brings home a boy but I never thought it was be so uncomfortable.

 "How about we all call it an evening?" My mom suggested at the sight of me stretching.

"Sounds good to me. Here, River I'll show you my room."

"Oh no. You two aren't sleeping in the same room." My father said stubbornly.

"We sleep a couple feet away from each other everyday on tour!" I exclaimed, shocked.

 My dad shook his head. 

"Sorry kiddo. Not in my house."

I pouted and turned towards River.