Chapter four: a day of awkward expiriences

Addison's POV:

The next two days went by pretty fast. I continued to monitor the twins, trying to decide when would be a good time to perform the surgery. Until then, I'd been taking some cases to keep busy. Richard didn't mind, considering the best OB/GYN the hospital had was now working for Seattle Pres.

Meredith and I had been okay, I suppose. We barely ever talked, but we weren't at each other's throats all the time. Derek on the other hand, was still barely talking to me. I had made every effort to have dinner or lunch together but it usually ended up in him cancelling or just ignoring my call altogether.

"Addison, do you still want Grey for today? Or do you want to switch it up and then take Grey when it's time to scrub in on that surgery?" Bailey asked, as she lined up her interns.

"Well, I'm sure Dr. Grey and I will be fine for another day" I say, noting the dirty looks I got from the other four interns "though, if she'd rather take a day to go see some ortho, cardio or neuro cases, I wouldn't be able to object to that"

Meredith gave her friends some reassuring looks "I'll be fine to be on your service, Dr. Shepard"

I nodded, and motioned for her to follow me.

"This case is surely something. This woman is thirty two weeks pregnant with her daughter, but some complications arose and she may need in utero surgery. The baby should be okay, but we're still watching her closely" I explained as we walked into the room "please present the case, Dr. Grey"

"Molly Grey-Thompson, twenty two, thirty two weeks pregnant but the baby has been diagnosed with a congenital diaphramic hernia, which means surgery will have to be performed to place a balloon in the baby's airway in order for the lungs to develop properly" Meredith said.

"She's going to be okay, right?" Molly asked nervously, while her Mother just gave Meredith weird looks. Not rude looks, but curious looks.

"The baby will be just fine, I assure you" I smiled.

"Her husbands away in Iraq, if anything is going to go wrong we'll need to call him" the mother spoke kindly.

"Well, there will be no need for that. We'll do the surgery tomorrow and you'll be fine to leave until the baby comes. Dr. Shepard is the best there is, you'll be in top shape" Meredith says kindly.

"Thank you" Molly says.

Meredith and I both exit the room, when a man accidentally bumped into Meredith.

"I'm so- Meredith?" He asked, his eyes were wide. 

"Thatcher" she said coldly. Her face was hard as rock, it was clear she didn't want to talk to him.

"I didn't know you worked here" he said, surprised.

"Well, you don't know a lot of things" she answered.

"I have to let Molly and Susan know I'm here, but we should get coffee sometime" he says hopefully.

"I don't think that'd be wise" Meredith quickly answers, before walking quickly away.

I followed her to a supply room, where I closed the door behind us and turned to face her.

"What's wrong?" I ask immediately, seeing her distressed features.

"That" she says quietly "was my father. That pregnant girl is the half sister I never knew I had"

Realization struck, and I felt awful for her. "Oh Meredith" I say "I'm sorry"

She nodded, biting her lip "he left when I was five. That was the first time I'd seen him in twenty years. My Mother was so hellbent on being the best of the best that he couldn't take it anymore. He packed up and he left, and he didn't bother to take me with him" a tear fell down her face, and suddenly she started to hyperventilate. It was all too much for her, she couldn't deal with it.