Chapter forty two: Petty on a whole new level

I know I promised a second chapter tonight, and I had it written and ready to go, but my save got fucked up and chapter forty three got deleted AND I had to work tonight so I couldn't redo it. I'll redo it tomorrow morning, and have it posted tomorrow night! Thanks for reading :)

Addison's POV:

At twenty four weeks pregnant, I still didn't look overly pregnant when I wore scrubs. Tight clothes emphasized my bump, but I was still waiting for my bump to be big.

Naturally, when I was out in public, people who didn't know me assumed I wasn't pregnant. Whenever I parked in the maternity spots at the grocery store, people gave me odd looks, and whenever I rubbed my tummy because the baby was kicking, people gave me even weirder looks.

So, when a man came up to me and asked me if I was Addison Montgomery, I'm assuming he was expecting me to look more pregnant.

"It's Montgomery-Grey" I smiled politely. I was just about to go home after a long day, and was waiting for Meredith in the lobby when this man walked up to me.

He did a double take and looked at my small belly. "Are you sure?" He asked "because the Addison Montgomery I'm looking for is supposed to be six months pregnant"

I found it odd that he was looking for me, and even knew I was pregnant, but I still smiled as if I wasn't thinking he was a total creep.

"I am six months pregnant, I carry backwards so I don't exactly look pregnant" I informed him. He nodded, before handing me a big brown envelope produced from his tote bag and handing it to me.

"You've been served"

Confused, wondering why I'd be getting sued for anything at all, I sat down and cracked open the envelope as he walked out the doors. When I pulled the papers out, I scanned them roughly to see what this was all about.

"Hey, bunny, sorry I'm late. How was your day?" Meredith emerged from behind me, presumably just off of the elevator. Kissing my temple, she looked down at the papers in my hand that I was looking at with a shocked expression. "What's that?" She asked, gesturing at the papers. I tore my eyes away to meet hers, unsure of what to say or how to say it.

"Derek is suing us for custody of the baby"

~

"I spoke to Mr. Shepherd's lawyer just last night" it was the next day, neither Meredith nor I had seen Derek but we sure as hell had seen our lawyer. We had no idea why he was suing us for custody, especially for a baby that wasn't even his. We were hoping our lawyer could tell us something.

"Did you find out what's going on?" I asked anxiously, both Meredith and I staring at the lawyer expectantly.

She nodded "Divorce, unfortunately, takes up to a year or more to process. Technically, you and Mr. Shepherd are not legally divorced yet. The papers were signed, but not yet processed and there was no agreement on your assets" both Meredith and I knew that; technically, we weren't legally married, but we'd gone through all the other marriage rituals. A ceremony, a shared bank account, and legally changing our last names. We were just planning on going to city hall to sign the papers when my divorce was finalized. But, it was hard to finalize when Derek kept refusing to meet with the lawyers to divide our assets.

"He claims" the lawyers starts again "that you two reconciled for a night and had sexual intercourse, around the same time you were artificially inseminated. Because of the relationship between you two, and because of the history, his claims are completely valid. He believes the baby is his and is demanding full custody"

My jaw hit the floor. Of all the things Derek could come up with, of all the ways he could get revenge, this was what he chose? To take our child?

"That bullshit" Meredith spat "we'll call Naomi, she knows Addison wasn't pregnant when we went to get inseminated"