Chapter ten: Sleepy Cuddles

Addisons POV:

"Oh look at his hair!" I'd just delivered the first baby, a little boy. He had a head of soft brown hair. "What's his name?" I ask, as I hand him to Meredith and begin to deliver the second baby.

"Peter William Evans" Ms. Evans smiled, there were tears in her eyes and she was happier than ever.

"Baby girl is here too!" I coo as I smile at the screaming baby.

"Her name is Madison Grace" Ms. Evans tells me, smiling.

"Peter William Evans, four pounds, two ounces and eighteen inches long. Born on November twelfth at ten am on the dot" Meredith announces proudly, as she places the clean and wrapped up baby by Ms. Evans head.

"Madison Grace Evans, four pounds four ounces, nineteen inches long. Bigger than her brother, which will come in handy" I smile "born November twelfth at ten oh four am" I place the second baby on the other side of Ms. Evans head.

"Gorgeous" Meredith mutters, as she looks me dead in the eye "absolutely gorgeous"

Something told me she wasn't talking about the babies.

~

The next day, I was eating lunch with Derek in the cafeteria. I hadn't seen Meredith since the twins were born, and we hadn't talked about our kiss.

Even though it was hands down the best kiss I've ever had.

"Derek, I've been meaning to talk to you" I sigh "Richard offered me a full time job here. The case I was here on is done, I don't have to stay. I can go back home to New York"

Derek looks at me thoughtfully before answering "I think you should do what feels right to you" he munches on some carrot sticks "if you think we need some space before we try and work through everything going on, then go back to New York. If you think you should stay to try and work things out here, then stay"

"Derek, that's not really helping. You'd usually tell me what I should do" I mutter.

"And look where that got us" Derek smiles sadly "marriage is a two way street, Addie. I can't call all of the shots, I've been doing that for ten years. Because of me, we lived in New York. Because of me you cut down your hours at work so you'd be home when I was. Because of me you're thirty four years old and you don't have the one thing you want most. Children"

I nod absently, spotting Meredith sitting with Christina across the cafeteria. She looks at me, and makes a gesture with her head so discrete only someone who knew her well and was watching her would pick up on it.

I nod swiftly so Derek doesn't see, and stand up.

"I'll tell you when I talk to Richard" I smile, as I make my way out of the cafeteria and to the nearest empty exam room. Meredith joins me not two minutes later. Locking the door, she turns to face me.

"Addie" she said softly "Jesus, you've got no idea how much I wanted to see you last night" she chuckled, holding out her arms. I walked into them, relishing in the fact that all I could smell was lavender. I buried my head in her chest and sighed happily.

I had no clue what we were or what any of these feelings meant. I just knew I hadn't felt anything this right since the first time I cut into a patient.

"Mere I have to tell you something" I mutter, as I pull back enough to look into her eyes.

"I can see them, Addie. I know what you're going to tell me is bugging you" Meredith murmurs slightly as she tucks hair behind my ears.

"Those damn clouds" I chuckle. 

She smiles, and I start to tell her.

"I was here specifically on the twins case. They're here and they're healthy, and I have the option to stay and work here or go back to New York" I explain.