Chapter 12 - Run

"We'll stop soon." He suggested bluntly without turning round. I nodded but I knew he couldn't see me yet he knew I could hear everything he was saying. Suddenly, Daryl stopped dead in his tracks, holding out his hand as a signal for me to stop. He had obviously seen something I couldn't.

"Daryl what..." I began but he quickly covered my mouth with his hand as a signal to shut up and I did so. We listened silently as the moans of walkers filled the air... Shit... I studied the darkness and saw the outlines of the ambling creatures heading towards us but it was hard to tell if it was real or the darkness tricking my eyes. They were getting closer and closer by the second. What the hell were we gonna do now?

"Daryl..." I whispered quietly to him.

"Run." He ordered me quickly as he grabbed my arm and pulled me along as he sped off into the night with me just behind him. We jolted throughout the trees trying to escape the herd of monsters behind us, my whole body going numb with the only instinct to sprint for my life. Daryl and me and hand in hand as he pulled me along, encouraging me to carry on running even if my legs began to give way. Both of us still cold and wet from the river incident making it harder to course and dodge through the thick branches.

Daryl somehow seems to know where he's going, his grip not loosening on my hand as I flashed my eyes behind us, the herd decreasing our lead. I turned back my head and once again crashed into Daryl as abruptly, he came to a halt. The force sending him forwards, I didn't know what was going on but the next thing I knew was Daryl had disappeared from my vision and I heard him screaming.

"Daryl!" I yelled as the walkers got closer and closer behind me.

"Layla!" I heard his voice echo back. It was dark and misty, I couldn't see him or anything around me only the faint outline of my impending doom. My head dazed and heart racing faster and faster. I was frozen in place until I heard Daryl shouting my name again. "Layla!" He yelled again. Maybe he thought I was dead? I'm not. I am. I'm going to be. A few seconds. Pain, then death. "LAYLA!" I heard him scream one last time, snapping me back into reality. I saw the wilted faces of walkers and without thinking ran in the same direction Daryl had, only to be stepping... Onto thin air! Daryl had stopped at the edge of a steep rocky hill!

I went tumbling down, luckily I had stepped out far enough so my head didn't hit any of the spiky rocks but my legs and feet caught it a few times. Within second I felt ice cold water pierce my skin then cold hands under my arms and lift me up I felt half conscious, not sure what was going on.