Chapter 43 - Final Straw

Daryl POV

"Hey, so about where we're gonna stay, you got any ideas?!" She called to me as she ran to catch up with me and walked beside me.

"No idea," I said as I stole a glance. She was smiling indistinctly and gazing around at the sunlight forest. The light that bounced off the damp leaves of the trees and back out into the air. She looked around as if she was admiring everything she came across like a little kid in a candy shop.

"We'll find somewhere," She shrugged. "Or we can do just what we did the first night." She suggested.

"Whatever, just get as far as we can till then, won't be dark for a while yet." I insisted. The day dragged from then on. Every time Layla said something, whether that be bitchin' about someone from camp, pointing out things (most of which I had already noticed but didn't say so) and asking more questions and answered every single one, I thought she was gonna bring it up. That was until the sky was finally getting dimmer. The deer sure as hell moved quickly.

I found a little clear area on the forest floor. We had passed tons like it but the sun was setting and the moon was rising meaning we needed to find some place to hold up for the night. The trees got thinner and so did the boughs above us so we could see the sky.

Though tonight it wasn't starless, nor did it make me feel like I was in some kind of cave. Instead, matte charcoal black uncontrollably covered in thousands and millions of bright specks overhead. Perhaps it was the hangover but the stars above glowed large like street-lamps. Each one was more of a sallow yellow orb than a brilliant pin-prick of white. The black beyond us had a velvet quality, like the air had been thickened somehow. With an upwards glance I could see it was star speckled and cloudless.

I think Layla noticed how long I had been gaumed out with my head in the clouds though as quickly spoke up to break my trance. "So here then?"

"Uh, yeah." I agreed and out down the bag. Layla got out the blanket and lay it out on the flattest piece of land she could find then sat on it, laying down her crossbow nearby.

"You want me to take first watch tonight?" I offered and sat down next to her but she just shrugged.

"Not tired," She replied as I saw her looking up as I was not long ago.

"You and me both," I agreed. "Guess we'll just stay here then." I assumed and she nodded, not bothering to look away from the magnificent abyss above. We were both traced for a moment, the tranquil peacefulness manipulating our minds of our own free will. Probably not the best of ways to spend the night during the apocalypse, we would learn from our mistakes.

"Walker!" Layla shouted suddenly, glancing over her shoulder and crawling away from the danger. I instantly got up as fast as I could, only to be pinned down again by not one, but three walkers appearing from the woodland. I landed on my back and scrambled frantically for a weapon but there were none in my reach. The closest walker gnashing it teeth as I pushed it away from my face with the other two inches away from killing me.

I glanced over to Layla and saw her wrestling another two walkers with her bare hands and losing. I couldn't get to her, she couldn't get to me, we were done for! I knew we should have never gone in the first place. It's dangerous hunting in the woods anyway without it being infested with the undead. I was certain that we had pulled the short straw, I wasn't even trying to kill them anymore, and I just wanted to get to Layla. I thought we had lost all hope when the third walker on me collapsed and a pair of boots stood in front of my face, blocking my view of Layla. Then, screams. Her screams. She must be dead.