Chapter 15 - The Deer

Leaving the walker I killed before and with my knife still out, I went deeper into the forest, following the trails of footprints, many sets from thousands of feet. Daryl can't have gotten that far, I can't have been asleep for that long before he left could I? Or maybe he left in the middle of the night? What if he went outside to kill walkers and got killed? What if he had just got up early, but was already dead?

I suddenly realised I was over thinking, just being paranoid. Daryl can take care of himself, he knows what he's doing. I leant up a tree briefly to organise by thoughts. My eyes were still tired and I had barely enough energy to be out and about at all. My head felt slightly dizzy too, guess from... Not eating? Adrenaline? I don't know. I blinked quickly remaining to carry on when I stumbled back and fell over backwards onto my back, tripping over something. Something had ran right in front of me, too fast for me to see, obviously at a fast pace. Running after something maybe? Or running away from danger? Quickly, I got up and crouched next to where it had fled past, luckily the ground was still soft with mud and water so I easily identified the deer's prints on the ground. When I got back up, the deer was out of sight, it had disappeared into the depths of the trees probably never to be seen again.

For the next about 20 minutes I just wandered, watching the sun rise. I felt like I was going in circles, I tried to track for Daryl, even going back to the cabin and rerouting, trying to retrace his steps but it was too hard, he knew how to travel and not leave a trace. Eventually, I decided it was best just to wait for him so I parked myself outside the cabin, leaning up the wall. I was so tired, I had the bag next to me with my machete in it, as well as my crossbow. I guess I must've fell asleep to what I woke up too...