Chapter 26 - Climbing

I watched Callum climb up to a thick branch then stand on it and look around. It looked really frightening being high up with no support.

"You coming up?" He called down to me. I had never properly tree climbed before. I mean, I've climbed like little oak ones in the woods at the back of my house but never like this one. It was a truly spectacular sight.

"I can't." I squeaked quietly but loud enough so he could hear.

"Course you can, just copy what I did." He shrugged and continued to look around, shading his eyes with his hand from the setting sun.

"I'm scared of heights! I'm gonna fall!" I frowned, sitting on the floor.

"Come on, stop being such a pussy..." he stopped himself. A what? "Stop being such a pusillanimous coward and climb the god damn tree." He rolled his eyes. I was really confused by the wording of his sentences but, best not question him. I wiped away the last of my tears then left my bag next to his and began climbing. My muscles tensed as I attempted to haul myself up, branch after branch. My shoes slipping on the bark every so often. It was a good 15 minutes of pure determination and fear that allowed me to climb up to the branch below my uncle where he held out his hand and helped me up to the one he was standing on.

"Did you bring my flask?" He asked after a minute.

"No... Was I meant to?" I worried confused.

"Ummm yeah? If you haven't got it, you can go back down and get it for me squirt." He tried to ruffle my hair but I dodged his hand. Bad idea. I found my feet slipping off the branch and my weight falling backwards, about to plummet toward the ground before a pair of large hands caught me. Callum saved me from falling.

"I think its best you get down now and get my freakin' flask? Don't you?" He barked angrily. I began to climb down as tears welled up in my eyes again. I thought camping would be fun, not horrible. As I went down slowly, stretching my arms and legs as far as I could to try and reach various branches he began shouting at me.

"Dumb bitch, Can't you hurry?" He yelled as more tears joined. I tried to blink them away but it didn't help. "Should've let you fall! I could have my flask my now!" He daunted me impatiently.