Chapter 22 - My Fault

(A/N) Sorry this chapter a bit late guys xx

I heard Layla crying as I put my knife into my belt.

"Daryl? What did you do?" She sobbed. I saw that she was sitting in the corner crying her eyes out and wiping blood from herself with a rag. I then looked to the mangled body of Jae after, seeing the fear that swirled in her eyes. After a minute, I couldn't take it. I didn't care what she thought of me. I just killed a man - for her. Maybe I could have done it another way but... What's done is done. He attacked her, I killed him. So Jae, I'll see you in hell.

I ran over to her and went to hold her in my arms. She flinched back slightly but then leant in and snuggled her face into my chest. I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her tightly for a while, trying to comfort her. She was still crying.

"Layla?" I asked softly.

"Yeah?" She sniffed not bothering to look up.

"What did he do? Like... exactly... I need to know." I said quietly, stroking her hair with my thumb as my hand was placed gently on her head with my other still around her. She looked up at me from the question now and paused for a second.

"There were three. This girl has my bag and a man has my crossbow. I'm sorry." She coughed through her tears like it was her fault.

"Layla, don't be sorry. You have nothing to be sorry for..." I was going to carry on when I suddenly remembered about the two people I had knocked out. I let go of her and got her some new clothes.

"Here put these on. Fast." I ordered her passing them her.

"What? Why the rush?" She asked as she slowly took them off me.

"I'll explain later, please Layla trust me. Quickly, hurry." I urged her. I got Layla's crossbow and the bag I had left outside and saw Rob not fully conscious but not fully unconscious either. He was waking up. When I got back into the cabin she was dressed in the new clothes, putting the old ones back into the bag. She had calmed down a bit now, or at least it looked like she had.

"Come on, let's go." I gestured my head to the forest, trying to be quiet so Rob wouldn't wake up. I took the bag from her and then got my crossbow and she got hers then we left back into the woods. I felt so bad for leaving now. I was only going out to hunt early to get breakfast but I got caught up chasing a deer. If I hadn't had left. It wouldn't have happened. It's my fault.