Chapter 51 - Just Run

Daryl POV

It tore through me like a shard of glass. I felt my eyes widen and my pulse quicken, my heart thudding like a rock rattling in a box. The scream came again - desperate, terrified... Hers. The blood drained from my face, before I was even aware of making a conscious decision, I shouted her name. But my throat was dry and tired, so only raspy syllables managed to pass my lips. It was that kind of audible agony - the kind that made your veins run cold. It pierced the brain and ignited some primeval pathway. Adrenaline surged in every muscle, fight or flight, stand or run, be a hero or a coward.

But that was not the case. I was useless. Helpless. I had no choice. I was stuck. I had to sit and watch as the blood that had once ran thick and scarlet in her veins gushed into the mud beneath her. It drizzled down her face from her obviously broken nose like rain trickling down a window pane.

"Thanks for the needed audio Layla. I'm positive all the noise will attract plenty of the dead. Have fun." Rob announced, momentarily distracting me before simply jogging away, taking all of mine and Layla's belongings with him and Lacey following closely behind. I could feel rage burning into my skin, becoming more intense every second. I stayed quiet for a moment which was proven difficult as I was forced to watch Layla cling onto consciousness, whimpering slightly ever so often. She was tough though, I knew she wasn't going to give up, not yet.

"Layla," I called as soon as I knew Rob and Lacey had probably gone far enough away so they couldn't hear me. She looked up at me - looked me straight in the face. The irises of her eyes, like broken Christmas lights and all around her eye was a colour pallet of pink, purple and brown bruising, splashed with the maroon colour of her blood. The rest of her face much the same. "Start to try cut the rope with the bark." I informed her quickly and she nodded. I started to do the same myself. It was difficult and I could see her struggling. I thought though if I could get free then I could go untie her. Everything would be okay.

A couple minutes passed though the time seemed to drag terribly. But that's when that all too familiar sound began to chime around. My stomach plummeted and I froze completely at the noise.

"Layla hurry." I urged her quickly. She sealed her lips and nodded, I could see - trying not to make a sound. The groans increased. Like they were taunting us. The literal sound of death.

"Daryl..." She mumbled. "They'll be here any second. Keep going. I'll... I'll distract them so you can run." She pleaded, gasping for air between each word.

"No! Keep going, we are getting back to camp. To Merle!" I avowed, gritting my teeth, annoyed at the fact she would even think that.

"I can't even walk! It's okay. Just go!" She wailed loudly and unmistakeably - meant it.

"Layla no! Keep going, when I'm free I'll come untie you then we need to get back!" I ordered her though I could see the plead in her eyes.

"I'm losing too much blood, it'll never be replaced. This is the most helpful thing I can do right now!" She claimed loudly and our purposefully loud too - she was trying to get the walkers over to her.

"You... We are getting out of here al..." Before I could finish my sentence, they came into view. They had a sloppy gait as they approached slowly. Their jaws near dislocated, showing their torn tongues and blood stained teeth. They moaned as they smelt blood in air, just as fondly as me. Their irises turned a milky snake-like emerald colour with streaks of red surrounding them.

"Daryl hurry!" Layla screamed, obviously as a way to try bring the dead over to her instead of them lurching toward me: and it worked.

A couple seconds after her shouting, even more came - at least a dozen now. They were at least 80 metres away though and there was no use panicking anymore.