Chapter 35 - Aches

Layla POV

The damp air was the first thing I noticed when I woke up. There was no water in this little cavern and it was coming from outside. It was actually quite stuffy inside here and I needed some air. I don't care if it hurt when I moved, I could take care of myself. I went to lift my head up from Daryl's shoulder but then something stopped me. Daryl had his head resting on mine and was asleep. Wait, he said he'd keep watch! That don't matter though. I sort of just sat and enjoyed the moment, trying my hardest not to wake him.

It seemed to take forever for him to wake up, I sort of wanted to get up, stretch my legs but he was out. I couldn't wake him, he needed his rest. He'd been carrying me, looking after me for hours on end, hasn't slept since that night in the cabin whereas me. I've been in a dream world more often than reality recently. So I closed my eyes and attempted to fall asleep before I felt his head lift from mine. Thank god he woke up when he did.

Daryl POV

Shit! I'd fallen asleep! When I opened my eyes I instantly realized that Layla was awake, her head still resting on my shoulder. I wondered why she hadn't got up yet that's when I realized I had my head resting on hers and immediately lifted it. God... That's embarrassing... She then took her head off my shoulder and we just sat for a second. It was sort of awkward to be honest... I had to try say summit.

"You sleep ok?" I asked as I took the blanket off and rubbed my face.

"Fine, you?" She replied rubbing her eyes. I just nodded in response and got up, putting the blanket back into the bag and getting out a water bottle. I rolled it to her by her feet and she picked it up and took a long drink before passing it back.

"Where we going today then?" She asked still sitting down.

"Depends, how ya feeling?" I questioned, drinking a bit then putting it back into the bag. She didn't reply, just leant against the cabin wall chewing her bottom lip. "Can ya walk today?" I asked picking up the bag which had everything packed in it.

"Think so." She said getting up. It look like it hurt but could manage it. She limped around a little stretching her legs but it looked as if she could walk by herself.

Layla POV

He helped me climb out of the cavern and I took a deep breath in, filling my lungs with the fresh air. I slung my crossbow over my shoulder then began to follow Daryl back into the woods again.

"Are you okay?" I asked. It seemed that the past few days had just been about me. Him worrying... I mean... Caring... I don't know but he looked after me and did a damn fine job of it.

"Gotta be." He nodded. He then suddenly stopped in his tracks. "Hold up," He put out his hand stopping me. He then took the bag off his shoulder and began looking for something in it. After a minute he pulled out my machete and handed it to me. I had completely forgotten about it and quickly took it off him and put it in my belt.

"Thank you." I smiled as he put the bag back over his shoulders and continued to lead the way.

"Where are we actually going?" I wondered. He seemed to be following a specific path but I couldn't tell what. My brain was still messed up a bit from everything that's happened.

"You and your damn questions woman," He jeered. He was right though, I did ask a lot of questions frequently. I ignored his remark though and waited for an answer. "Tracking," He replied after a second. It was then obvious why he hadn't taken his eyes from the forest floor in a while, he was following tracks of an animal.