Chapter 25 - Cal's Flask

I could barely breathe I was so tired and had a stitch. My hands muddy, bloody and grazed from almost falling over and having to keep myself up by putting my hands down onto the gritty rocks. My elbows stinging from when I first fell over and my face too. I was covered in dirt head to toe, water still falling from my eyes and down my cheeks. I sniffed and coughed, trying to control the sobbing otherwise Callum might tell me off. He was really scary when he got angry.

After admiring the tree for a while, probably planning a way to get up he finally paid attention to me.

"Layla! You're a mess! What the hell were you doing?" He scolded me passing me a rag.

"I... I tripped!" I cried taking the rag and wiping my face.

"Yeah, you're not meant to do that dumbass. It hurts." He rolled his eyes at me as he took off his backpack and began rummaging through it.

"I know. You wouldn't wait! I thought you were gonna leave me!" I complained. I was upset and angry but if I got angry at Cal or even showed signs of it, I'm sure he would be even angrier. When I pulled the rag away and inspected it I saw it was covered in blood as well as muck. After saying that, he looked over and furrowed his eyebrows, scowling and narrowing his eyes before shaking his head and continuing to look through the bag as if to say 'Shut up, what the hell you talking about?'

He then pulled out his tree climbing boots from the bag and changed into them, putting his hiking boots into the bag and pulling out a flask. I was still crying but more silently now.

"Stop your winging. It's weak. Just climb, stop being such a cry baby and get over it for gods flipping sake!" He spat on the ground and took a large gulp from the flask. Callum didn't even call me names joking though. Mike and Amelia, my older brother and sister, used to call me names all the same. They still do but it's just a joke and I do it back. They're really funny but Callum wasn't. I tried to ignore it.

"Can I have some?" I asked gesturing to the flask. I assumed it was tea or hot chocolate cus that's what Mike had before when he went camping.

"This?" He took another sip. "You can't drink this." He sneered.

"Mum and Chloe lets me drink hot drinks." I protested folding my arms grumpily.

"This isn't a hot drink though," He raised his eyebrows holding up the flask.

"I drink cold drinks too. Lemonade's my favourite." I smiled hoping it could be something like that. Chloe let me have what I wanted at the house so I don't see why Callum couldn't.

"It isn't for kids." He exhaled after taking a final sip and put it back in the bag, pulling out some thick, padded gloves from it.

"Why?" I questioned, taking off my backpack and putting on my gloves. Mine weren't as fancy as Callum's but he said that I'll need them so if he's using them, might as well put them on too. He stared at me for a second, as if I had said something wrong.

"It's alcohol, not for kids." He rubbed his hands together and positioned himself in front of the tree.

"Mum said you don't drink that stuff." I said confused. Why would Mum lie to me?

"I don't." He answered simply, grabbing onto a thick branch.

"But... But you just..." I began to argue but he interrupted me.

"Shhh, don't tell." He smirked putting his finger to his lips with an evil smile. So he was drinking that alco stuff and no one knew. He was drinking it secretly and telling everyone he wasn't? I knew that was bad. My Mum always told me that even the smallest of lies can and will eventually build up and come back to haunt you. I clandestinely hoped that happened to him for lying to my parents. I wanted to tell them but if I did, he might get angry at me. I mean... I'm not lying but... Then again, I'm not telling the truth either. I'm just saying nothing.