Competition

Dear Diary,

I had my gymnastics competition. In the morning, Nana gave me my leotard which was turquoise with silver streaks. On the bus to the competition, I stared out the window. The world before me was so different. There were houses so different to the ones in Russia. Nana normally takes me to Russia once a year just to meet my family. When we arrived, I was so nervous that I almost squished Nana's hand.

Ms Parker greeted me and led Nana and I inside the sports center. There were many people in the gymnastics area that everyone was pushing and shoving. Nana found a spot were less people went. Ms Parker and I walked towards the warm-up room to register. The warm-up room was huge and filled with gymnasts on bars, floor, vault, beams and even on a trampoline. I disappeared into the floor area to stretch. I stretched just like Coach Taylor told me to while Ms Parker registered my name.

As the competition began to start, announcements sounded and slowly the gymnasts left. I waited in silence. My name originates from the word 'evanescence' which means to disappear or to lose a memory/sight. I disappear so easily, I never really get noticed. At last, my name is called through the loud speaker. I quickly walk out onto the beige floor. There were like a million eyes staring at me and I felt so nervous. But then it was like the whole world had gone and it was just me twirling and prancing. I was so focused I didn't realize the audience around me. At the end, my mind went back to normal.

Everyone stood up and was clapping away. I look for Nana and she was so happy that she's practically crying. After the competition, all the gymnasts lined up in one line behind 3 blocks. One of the judges went up to a lectern beside the blocks. She talked about the competition and how they judged the routines. Suddenly, everyone went quiet. 

"3rd place, Bianca Walker,"

"2nd place, Aria Turner"

"And 1st place Evanesca Ivanov!"

I walked up with my head held high. I've never felt so happy in Australia before. After like, 2 minutes of non-stop clapping, I ran to grab my gym bag and changed into a tank top and shorts. I meet Ms Parker at the entrance. Nana is outside waiting too. I did really well according to Ms Parker. Nana said that she has never saw me so happy before. I can't wait to go to school tomorrow!

Somehow, I feel like I won't fit in. Jessica, Chelsea and Kylie will obviously be all posh. I don't know why but they make me feel like I don't exist. They act all mature and it s just so annoying.