■■ Beautiful Things

And I hate goodbyes, but I will try to make them work.

"I'm sorry Mitch." He heard her choke in her words. "I'm not brave enough to end this face to face."

He saw her already, at the other side of the street, trying to hide her face. She was leaning on a post, wiping tears from her face. Her voice didn't even seem crying, but if you were Mitch, you'll hear the cracks of her voice.

"You don't know how sorry I am." She continued. "I really am sorry, I don't even know what words to say."

Kirstie asked herself why she was even at the verge of crying. Is this how she loved Mitch? Is this how he impacted her life? If the world had the moment to answer, it would surely say yes.

Mitch tried to compose himself and tried not to spill even one tear. He cleared his throat and said, "It's okay Kirstie. I know you're really bad at lying."

That means the love you gave me was not a joke, I felt it I swear. Mitch thought.

He cannot think of what more positive thoughts he can give to himself that time. He was really, maybe, disappointed by the outcome of their relationship. But why would he be disappointed? He's not even at Kirstie's position.

It must be hard for her. He thought, knowing that even for him, the difficulty of hiding something to be proud of is extreme.

He was proud because it was still love that happened between them.

Kirstie, in the other hand, was not in the right mind and left some words unsaid. She should have said, "I'm sorry because this is the end." But she ended up saying, "Thank you for being so understanding."

"Are you okay over there?" Mitch asked. "I mean, would you like a shoulder to lean on?"

"I would just go home." Kirstie said. "Mitch, please, forgive me?"

"It's really okay." Mitch said, feeling that weigh in his heart as he lied. "Be sure to be okay. We would still be friends after this, right?"

Kirstie nodded as if Mitch sees her, and he is. "Thank you for everything." She said, ending the call.

She turned to Mitch, seeing him smiling from afar as she waved goodbye, but that didn't end there.

Mitch was strong enough to fight back his tears, yet Kirstie had the strength to cry on the sidewalk, as if no one sees her. She was wearing a hoodie, a cap and a face mask, so it was a bit of a relief.

She was crying her throat out, yelling only in the inside. She was biting her lips to fight it back, but tears just demanded to be released.

Her tears could not stop falling, deep inside begging the world to stop. Her heart was so sensitive it already gave up. How stupid it was for her to bottle it all inside.

Other people almost thought that the scene was a prank and asked if she was okay, until she stood up, trying to compose for the sake of her image, in case someone knows her.

Mitch didn't see it and just ordered a coffee and a cake, trying to offer himself a treat. He ordered a strawberry flavored cake, remembering that it was one of those which delighted him and Kirstie.

He cringed at the thought and felt sadness creep into his heart, as if it hugged it tighter than before. He felt that knot around his heart, and a bit of relief that Kirstie is finally free.

But stupid feelings made him cry because of his thoughts; it were only silent cries, of course. He remembered it all again.

Fucking memories. He cursed under his breath.

He stopped the tears before it could even hit him right in the sadness it wants. He only continued eating, trying to forget everything that happened.

But he just couldn't.

****
Author: I'm so bitter, it's disgusting. I know that this is not even the right way to end a "relationship". I feel so terrible, I'm sorry.