chapter 16: getting settled

After spending one night in the old house, so many memories come back to me it was extremely hard to go to sleep. It's so hard for me to sleep that I wake up at four o'clock in the morning in a cold sweat. When I realize that I am soaked I go to the restroom to wash off. Once I finish washing off I go back in the room and try to go back to sleep. After tossing and turning for a few minutes I decide to go out and take a little walk; since I can't sleep.

As I am walking down the street trying to clear my head, I see all of these zombie like people lurking around me. "Aye... Aye man... You got something for me?" a man says while I am walking on the sidewalk. When I turn around to see who it is all I notice is an old dirty grey haired looking man in an over sized dirty brown overcoat and some dirty worn out clothes. "Who you talking to old man?" I say as I stare him up and down. When he replies that he is talking to me, I walk a little closer to him and ask who he is. After he says his name is Larry I tell him that I don't have anything for him, but if I did what would he like. When I ask him what he prefers he walks a little closer to me and says "I want what everybody else out here is wanting... And what that is, is that crack baby!" When he says that I nod my head and tell him the next time he sees me I will have what he wants. After I say that he thanks me and says whenever I have his fix to just ask for crack head Larry.

As I begin to leave crack head Larry to continue his search for a fix I walk down a street called Dory. While I am continuing to think I am interrupted once again by this old pimp we call D-Mac. "Aye I know you... You work with Billy Diamond of the Black Diamonds don't you?" After he asked me that I say maybe and asked him what he wants. That's when he pulls me to the side and tells me that he needs B.D to call him as soon as possible. When I ask him for what all he tells me is if everything goes to plan I will find out more sooner than later.

When he begins to walk off I pull out my cell phone and call B.D. Since I knew he wasn't going to answer I just left him a message telling him to call D-Mac as soon as possible. After I leave him that message I continue to walk around just trying to clear my head. As I am clearing my head I happen to come across LaNisha's house. Since I was here and her mom wasn't home I walk around to her window and tap on it to wake her up.

After a few taps she finally wakes up and opens the window. "What's wrong babe?" she asked as she was inviting me in. When I tell her I can't sleep she closes the window and tells me that I can stay here for tonight. While I am getting comfortable she asks me why I can't sleep, so I go ahead and tell her I kept having flashbacks of the night my mom died. After I say that I lay down in the bed next to her. While I am laying there she begins to rub on my head until I fall asleep.

The next morning I wake up well rested in my baby's bed. Since I notice she's no longer by my side I get up and go to the restroom to brush my teeth and use the bathroom. Once I am through getting cleaned up I hear some arguing going on in the front, so I go and see what all the commotion is all about. "I aint going nowhere!" LaNisha yells at her mom while I am walking into the kitchen. "What the hell you mean you not going nowhere? Where the hell you gone stay at then?" LaNisha's mom responds with anger in her voice. In the middle of all the arguing I interrupt and ask what is going on. That's when LaNisha comes to me with tears in her eyes and says "she trying to make me go live with her and her new boyfriend she just met a few weeks ago all the way down in Dallas!" While she is crying in my arms I look at her mom and ask if she could come stay with me since I have my own place now. After she thinks about it for a minute she looks back at me and says "LoJarvis I really do like you, but you don't have a job and you rely on these streets to pay your way... Now what kind of mother would I be if I put my only daughter into that type of situation?" After she says that I look at my baby and give her a kiss on her forehead and say "Ms. Johnson I love your daughter with all my heart and I would never put her in a bad situation... Just trust me on this and I promise I won't fail you!" After I say that she begins to think about it, but wants she sees the passion in my eyes she goes ahead and say that she can stay with me.