[36]SpaMano: An Important Decision

Romano is returning to Spain having having been home in Italy for a month. He has been alternating between the two places for awhile now. The reason for his being in Spain so often rather than just stay in his own country is that he and the personification of Spain have been seeing each other. Going between the two was exhausting but Romano kept doing it.

The plane touches down and Romano leaves the plane with the other passengers. He looks at his phone to see if Spain is there to meet him and when he looks up to see a cheery Spaniard rushing toward him. Spain picks him up and spins him around while the Italian protests.

"Roma, I'm so happy to see you!" The Spaniard exclaims.

"I'm happy to see you too, now put me down!" Romano prays that Spain does not let go or lose his balance.

Spain finally lets him down but he keeps a hold of Romano's hands and puts his forehead to his lover's. Romano feels a little uncomfortable doing this in public but Spain has no qualms about it. Spain gives Romano a peck on the lips and the latter blushes deeply and yanks his hands away and grabs his suitcase.

"Here, I'll take it!" Spain offers and grabs the handle and puts his free hand in Romano's.

They walk to Spain's car and as soon as they are to his house, Spain grabs Romano and starts kissing Romano. He kisses his lips, jawline and neck, pulling his lover closer to him.

"Mmf, what the heck are you doing?!" Romano exclaims but does not make as much of an effort to get away.

"I missed you," Spain says lovingly.

Romano sighs and allows the affection to be given. Spain meets his lips again and Romano pushes back aggressively but ultimately looses. They stop their activities a few minutes later due to Romano's exhaustion from the flight. But Spain still insists on taking him to dinner, so they go to a restaurant nearby.

Spain stares happily at his lover who is sitting across the table from him. Romano is still trying to come up with a way to talk about his problem without hurting Spain in any way. It is frustrating for him and Spain could sense that there was something wrong.

"Roma, please tell me what's wrong and don't tell me it's nothing because I know something is up," Spain says adamantly.

Romano hesitates to answer. "Fine, I'm just tired and don't really like flying."

Spain takes his hand and squeezes it. "There is more to it though, isn't there?"

"Look I'm just tired of going back and forth. I want to be with you but I want to be with my country as well. It's a decision I don't want to make."

Spain nods in understanding. "I understand."

There is an awkward silence between the two and their food eventually arrives. Spain decides it's best to place the subject on hold and he starts talking about something unrelated. Conversation continues until they finish at the restaurant and the two walk home hand in hand but there is still a sense of tension in the air.

Once they get back to Spain's home they join each other on the couch to watch something. When the movie finishes Spain turns to his younger companion. He takes a deep breath and smiles.

"I want you to know that I will love you, no matter what decision you choose. You can live here with me full time or you can choose to stay in your own country and we can still try to make this work. The decision is yours, I just want you to know that I'll always love you, completely and unconditionally."

Romano tries to force back the tears that are coming to his eyes. He hugs Spain tightly and the other holds him tightly, rubbing his back in an attempt to calm him.

"You bastard, why are you so good to me?" Romano's voice quivers.

"Because I love you Roma," Spain says lovingly.

Romano pulls away from the hug and wipes the liquid from his eyes.

"I... love you, too. And I'm only being nice because I'm tired."

Spain smiles and he stands up and picks his lover up bridal style. He walks a surprisingly calm Romano to their room and sets him gently on the bed. The Spaniard is soon over his young lover kissing him gently but firmly.

"You idiot I'm still tired," the Italian says between kisses.

Spain pouts. "Fine but we can cuddle right?"

Romano rolls his eyes at the silly Spaniard. They change into comfier clothing and join each other in bed. Spain wraps his arms around Romano and kisses his forehead. Romano falls asleep almost immediately but not before he hears a few words from his lover.

"Sleep well, mi tomate."

Romano eventually decides to live full time with Spain. He goes back to Italy often but not as frequently. His boss was fine with it and despite some bouts of homesickness he is very happy living with Spain.

•••

A/N: I wrote this soon after making an important decision so I get the stress involved. Which is why I like Romano so much because he gets anxious at similar times that I do, so it helps me connect with his character.