Chapter 1 - Making the most of it

Friday - Day 1 of the Rodeo and Music Fest

Samantha was leaning up against the middle wooden rail of the fence surrounding the dirt and sand filled corral with a down turned mouth and eyes filled with unshed tears as she stared at the horses and riders that were practicing. Her emotions were clearly visible for all those who cared to look. She couldn't believe that this long awaited for weekend had finally arrived, just not the way it was planned.

Taking a deep breath in, she dropped her head down to rest upon her forearms that were crossed on top of one of the rails. Closing her eyes, she realized that all her muscles in her chest, back, neck, and shoulders were so tensed up that the deep breath she took earlier was actually very shallow. She lifted her head and spun around so that her back was now resting on the fence rail. Tilting her head back she closed her eyes once again, but this time it was due to the brightness of the warm sunshine. She used of the warmth from the sun to try to loosen up her muscles. Her thin cotton light blue sleeveless blouse allowed even the hidden skin to feel it's warmth while her short jean skirt protected her upper legs from its heat. Her cowboy boots didn't really protect her feet and calves from the heat, but they did protect her from the dirt and animal waste that could be found all over the agricultural grounds.

As her muscles started to relax, she took in another deep breath. This time her nose was filled with the smells of the rodeo: the horses, the heated prairie grasses, and most of all the manure. Manure at the best of times is disgusting, but right now the smell of it comforts Samantha. It reminded her of her time spent hiding out in the dairy barns and of visiting her relatives in Germany. The small village they lived in was in cattle country and the whole area smelled of manure. It was always exciting, for the city dweller that she was, to watch the cows being herded through the town center to get to their barns. When things would become overwhelming dealing with her annoying cousin, she would often retreat to a neighbour's barn to sit and watch them milk the cows. For some strange reason, maybe it was just the fact that no one was speaking to her, she found the time in the barn very peaceful. It was this sense of peace that she was searching for now.

She thought that she had dealt with her disappointment and anger two weeks ago when she first found out that the rest of the girls had decided to back out of their girl's weekend. Dawn and Joy had both been invited by boys out to a party for tonight and all three of the girls had dates for tomorrow night to yet another party. "I should have known better," she thought to herself. "It's not like it's the first time that they have done this to me and it won't be the last," she admitted glumly.

Taking yet another deep breath, she forced her mind to stop thinking about what had occurred. She emptied every thought from her head and just let herself soak up the feelings of peace and calmness that came from the heat of the sun and the smells surrounding her. Feeling calmer she opened up her eyes and turned her body back around so that she was once again looking inside the corral. Shifting her gaze, she found herself staring at a beautiful brown horse with cream coloured spots decorating its chest and shoulders. Without realizing it, she opened her mouth and whispered, "gorgeous!"

A smooth deep baritone voice asked, "Who did you say was gorgeous?"

Removing her gaze from the horse, Samantha searched for the owner of the voice. She didn't have far to look. Standing near the horse's head was a prime example of the male species who seemed to be a few years older than her. He was staring at her with a weird look on his face. It was a look that she had seen on guys faces before, but she didn't know what it meant. Her gaze zeroed in on his eyes which she discovered were the richest shade of brown that she had ever seen. They were smooth like milk chocolate, but had a depth to them that made them seem like they were on fire. It might have been the gold coloured flecks in them that gave them the fire characteristic, but all she knew was that she was lost in them.