Chapter 31 - Moving A Little Bit Closer

"So what did mom want? Did she chew you out?"

Josh shrugged his shoulders. "Nah, she was upset that I missed her latest attempt, but relented when I said that Jake and I took care of Bryan."

Lily nodded her head. "She's worried about Aunt Sherry and how off she has been."

"It's starting to worry me as well. Mom has not been so tired and feeling off. Even dad is worried so last night actually worked out perfectly." Jake leaned back into the back pillows on the daybed.

Josh pushed himself back in the daybed until he, too, was leaning back against the pillows. He slid his right hand along the mattress until it was behind Samantha's butt.

Samantha felt Josh's hand slide across her butt and lower back, just below Jake's. She looked over her shoulder and gave Josh a shy smile. While the boys were both leaning back, she was sitting upright. She was concerned how it would look to Lily if she was to lean back into her boys. She didn't want to do anything to possibly alienate Lily as she was enjoying getting to know her.

Samantha turned to look at Jake. "I can help your mom out tomorrow with getting things ready."

"Thanks Sweetie. I'm sure that she will appreciate it." Jake offered her one of his dimple smiles causing Samantha's heart rate to speed up.

Lily watched the interplay between Josh, Jake, and Samantha with interest as she moved to lie on her stomach with her head pointed towards the daybed with Josh, Jake, and Samantha. The boys along with their fathers had explained to them all about how Samantha had selfishly offered to pretend to be their girlfriend to help protect them from all the unwanted sexual advances that they receive at the rodeos. She had been curious about the type of girl that would do something like that. She knew of many girls who would offer to be either Josh's pretend girlfriend or Jake's pretend girlfriend in hopes of becoming their permanent girlfriend, but she didn't know any that would publicly pretend to be the girlfriend to both. The girls she knew would have been too concerned about what other people were saying.

She figured that there would have to be some type of chemistry between Samantha and the boys if they were to successfully pull off such a charade, but to see that chemistry in real life was something else. The three of them did not act like virtual strangers which is what they were. Instead, the three of them acted like they had known each other for years. She was happy to see her brother and Jake so happy and relaxed. Even with her own issues, she hadn't been blind to the sadness and grief that both her brother and Jake had exhibited during the fall and winter. In Lily's opinion, Samantha could have been the most horrible person alive, but she still would have been grateful for Samantha for the happiness and positive changes in both Josh and Jake.

"Samantha and I can help out mom in the morning and then we can both go and help with Bryan and the packing." Lily smiled at Samantha. She wanted to make sure that Samantha was ok with her volunteering to help as well. She felt very relieved when Samantha smiled and nodded in response.

Jake opened his mouth to say thanks to Lily when...

"LILY!!"

Lily rolled her eyes at the sound of her mother's voice causing both Josh and Jake to chuckle.

"Lily! I need your help with things," Sharron called again.

"On my way, Mom." Lily pushed herself up off the daybed. Under normal circumstances she wouldn't have been too upset with helping her mother, but today she really wanted to spend some time getting to know Samantha while Jake and Josh were around to run interference.

Josh pushed himself up from the daybed. He walked over to Lily and pulled her into a side hug. "Thanks for looking out for me, sis. I won't leave you alone too long with mom today. Jake and I will just give Samantha a quick tour of the house and then we will come help."