Chapter 61

An older gentleman in a blue suit with cowboy boots on walked over to greet them with a smile. "Howdy Jake. Josh. And who might this little lady be?"

Samantha nearly giggled at his words, but as stereotypical country as they sounded, the gentleman pulled them off. He made her feel special instead of being a caricature. She returned his smile.

"This is Samantha, Mr. Davis." Josh replied as the door opened behind them. "She's going to help us choose the vehicle."

"Wonderful." Mr. Davis rubbed his hands together. "And I see you brought your dads' along as well. Welcome Mr. Ward and Mr. Wilson. We will just be getting to know a little more about one another before starting."

Mr. Davis told them that they could pick any truck or SUV that he had on the lot. He kept telling them how happy he was that he had been the franchise to donate the vehicle this year and how proud of them he was for the way that they were representing the community. If anyone else had said the same thing it would have sounded like gushing, but somehow all his words rang with sincerity. He motioned for the three of them to head outside while he talked to their dads' for a few minutes.

"Ready?" Jake looked between Josh and Samantha. At their nod, he added, "then let's go." Together they went outside to the side of the lot with the trucks and SUVs.

"So what type of vehicle are you both looking for?" Samantha asked curious to know what their answer would be. It seemed to her like Josh's truck was fairly new, but Jake's truck was older. She wondered if it was going to replace the older one.

"That's a good question. I already have a new truck." Josh looked to Jake.

"And my truck runs well. Although we almost always use Josh's even if I have to head out by myself for something." Jake looked back at Josh.

"So maybe an SUV?" Josh shrugged his shoulders as he looked around the lot.

"That sounds good. It should probably be fuel efficient for longer drives and for use in the city," added Jake as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"A fuel efficient SUV. Got it. At least it gives us a starting point." Samantha grinned at them as they headed over to where the different SUVs were parked.

"We don't want one that is too big," suggested Jake as they past a row of large SUVs.

"And we don't need seven passenger seating either," added Josh.

"That sounds like we should be looking in these few rows then." Samantha pointed out the rows in question. They each picked a row and started down looking at the vehicles and reading the specification page on the window. They would call out different items to each other to see what additions they wanted.

By the time that Mr. Davis and their fathers' arrived outside, they had narrowed down their vehicle of choice to one of the small SUVs that had a hybrid option. They were down to discussing extras such as heated seats and all around cameras when John asked them what they had decided on.

The three men nodded and made suggestions. Mr. Davis finally led them over to a group of vehicles that had the minimum of everything that they wanted. The only thing left as to pick out a colour.

"Samantha, you should pick out the colour," John suggested.

"Agreed. The boys would pick out a boring colour like black," added Jason.

Samantha bit her lip as she scanned the cars. "What about that metallic greenish one?"

The guys all looked at each other and nodded. "That is a really nice colour and new this year," Mr. Davis informed them.