Chapter 55 - Reality and Morality

Thursday Morning, Winnipeg, MB

Samantha passed another restless night in her bed. This time it wasn't the lack of her boys that made her restless, but rather the need to make a decision about their relationship. She looked at her clock and groaned. She still had thirty minutes before her alarm was to go off. She rolled onto her side and hugged her boy pillows in close. She closed her eyes and hoped for the best.

Five minutes later, she rolled onto her other side and tried again.

Five minutes later, she groaned again as she sat up. She stretched her arms above her head and leaned from side to side to stretch out her back. She leaned over and turned off her alarm clock as she decided that she might as well get up as sleep was eluding her.

She passed the morning running after the toddlers for the third day.  It helped to keep her body physically active, but her brain continued to stray back to the decision that she needed to make. A decision like this should have been easy. She liked a guy, he liked her, they decided to be a couple. The end. But that wasn't the case. She really wanted to honour God, but could she honour him while sinning? Was it even a sin or just not the ideal? Didn't men in the Old Testament continue to be viewed as honouring God when they were in poly relationships? All these questions were driving her nuts. She needed some help and guidance. She only knew of one person that she could ask this of and thankfully Pastor Shaun was in the office today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knock, knock, knock.

Pastor Shaun looked up from his desk to discover that Samantha was standing at his door. "What can I do for you?"

Samantha twisted her fingers together trying to work up the courage to ask him the questions that had been rattling around in her mind for the last few weeks. She really liked Jake and Josh. She felt something for them that she had never felt before with any other guy that she had been involved with. She still hadn't said I love to them, but not for lack of trying. Although, she didn't really know if she would have actually had the courage to say it because it would have opened up a whole can of worms. In that sense, the boys were right in not letting her say it, but she couldn't deny it any longer. What she felt for both boys went far beyond liking. And try as she might, she was unable to like one more than the other. True, they hadn't spent much individual time together in person, it was always the three of them, but they did carry on individual conversations on top of the group ones.

With Jake she found someone who was quick to hold her, to comfort her. He was always touching her, making her feel wanted. He made her laugh and shared her love of environmental conservation although his was more land usage and sustainability while hers was more on goods and food.

With Josh she found someone who was quick to ask her what was wrong. He was able to look through her into her soul and know when she was holding back. At the same time he could make her laugh as well. He shared her love for the environment, but in a different yet complementary path than both Jake and her. He liked to look at green energy and building practices.

In fact, Samantha had such varied tastes that whatever Josh and Jake disagreed on, she tended to like both sides. Two of them could fit together well, and if they hadn't known the third then they would still be an item. But they knew the third and without the third piece, just the thought of it felt like something was missing.

Yet everything the church taught her was that it was wrong. A relationship was only supposed to be between one man and one woman, not two men and one woman. If this was so wrong, then why did she feel God's presence whenever the three of them got together?

She needed some answers and she needed before things became too serious, if it wasn't already too late.

She untwisted her fingers and wiped her palms on her blue jean skirt as she started to walk into his office. "Uhm, I have a few questions that I would like to ask you, if you have the time?" she responded softly.