Chapter 53 - John, Sharron, Jason, and Sherry

John and Jason walked into the family room off the kitchen to find Sharron and Sherry relaxing back into the comfortable L-shaped couch. They were each holding a glass filled with sparkling fruit juice in deference to Sherry's pregnancy.

"I'm glad that's over with," huffed Jason as he walked over to the couch. He lifted Sherry's feet and sat down replacing them on his lap. His fingers immediately went to work massaging them.

John followed him over to the couch taking up residence next to Sharron. "You can say that again. They are good enough kids and all, but it has been nice having the boys too busy to socialize like that this summer."

Sharron smacked John across the arm. She rolled her eyes at Sherry. "Like you had to do anything except bar-b-q. Sherry and I did all the work."

John chuckled as he leaned over to kiss her cheek. "You made excellent food. And I thank you. But you and Sherry didn't have to stand and listen to them talk. The things that they were saying..."

"I agree. My head hurts just thinking about it." Jason pulled his hands from Sherry's feet to cradle his head as he laughed.

"Pish." Sherry used her heel to dig into Jason's thigh before wiggling her toes to ask him to continue to massage her feet.

Jason dropped his hands to her feet and turned to give her a smouldering look. Sherry's eyes twinkled as she sighed.

Sharron completely missed their byplay as she sat lost in thought going over the evening in her mind. "I wonder what was up with Cheryl tonight? I had asked her to make Samantha feel welcome, but Samantha ended up not leaving Josh's side for most of the evening."

Sherry had noticed that Samantha had stuck close to Josh as well and was a little concerned. She would have thought that Jake would stayed been close, too, but he hadn't . Her concern was tempered by the fact that she knew that the three of them were curled up together in bed at the moment.

John and Jason looked at each other and nodded. They knew exactly why Samantha had stayed so close to Josh for most of the evening. They had both been happy at how well she had run interference between Cheryl and Josh.

Jason had been initially concerned when he noticed that Jake was keeping his distance, but he had spoken to him about it when he had been Bryan-free on the patio. Jake had explained how with Samantha posing as Josh's girlfriend, Cheryl was trying to make it sound like Samantha and Jake were carrying on behind Josh's back. Jason had patted Jake on his shoulder and told him how proud he was with the three of them.

"Maybe Cheryl didn't include Samantha because she is jealous of Samantha?" Sherry suggested.

Sharron put her empty glass down on the table before leaning into John's side. "I don't know why she would be jealous. I told her what a cute couple Samantha and Jake make. I even suggested that the four of them could go out sometime the next time Samantha comes for a visit."

Sherry pulled her feet out of Jason's lap and turned to sit facing Sharron with a shocked expression on her face. Jason pulled her back into his arms wearing a similar expression on his face.

John pulled himself out from under Sharron and turned to look at her. His eyes were wide open and swirled with emotion. Not only was he shocked at what his wife had said, he was also a little disappointed. "Why, why would you say such a thing? Do you want us to relive the last two years with Jake and Josh not talking to each other?"

Sharron leaned back into the couch. She took a quick look away from her husband to look at Sherry and John. She was struck by the fact that they both seemed to wearing similar looks of shock. She thought that she might have even seen. Little bit of horror in them before she returned her gaze to her husband. "What do you mean? Why would Josh and Jake not talk to each other if Jake was dating Samantha and Josh was dating Cheryl?"