Chapter 45 - Confessions

A/N A quick note. A number of  readers called a cliffy so here is the next chapter. The one was fully written while under the influence of pain medication. I have discovered that it makes me verbose. 😉 This chapter is dedicated to @EmileeMonroe who left such a wonderful comment of concern over Matt, Jake, and Josh. I hope that this chapter resolves your concerns. XOXO

Samantha looked around the room. Her heart was still beating frantically in her chest. She could feel the shaking setting in. If felt like her insides were going to jump out of her chest. She couldn't believe that this was happening to her. Why now?

She had made such a great production when she had first met the boys about how she didn't care what people would think of her pretending to be their girlfriend. She had told them that her friends that knew her wouldn't care, and if they did, then they weren't great friends to begin with.

She had shown them that she could go toe to toe with the women who tried to become too handsy with them after competitions. Yet she had never reacted this way. She needed time to think...to understand what had brought this on.

As her eyes continued to scan the room, her gaze became locked with the twin frantic gazes staring at her from across the room. The eyes burrowed themselves deep into her soul. They steadied her. She could feel her heart rate start to slow down a bit.

She was watching them so intently that she nearly missed the third set of eyes on her, but she hadn't. It warmed her heart to see the matching concern on Matt's face that she saw on her boys. She smiled at them all knowing that she needed to cross the room to them before they took matters into their own hands.

She needed to get control of her emotions before facing them. She couldn't let them see how rattled the encounter in the bathroom had left her.

She took a deep breath in and tried to square her shoulders. She realized that she was succeeding in looking calm when she saw their eyes widen slightly. She took another deep breath in. "I am calm," she muttered over and over to herself.

She clenched and unclenched her hands rhythmically as she slowly made her way across the room. This was going to be the only time alone to think. She needed to go through the incident in her mind just one more time to help her understand.

She remembered walking into the empty bathroom and thinking that it was a first for her. She had never been at any big venue and had an empty ladies room before. She went into the stall and did her business. She wasn't surprised when she heard the bathroom door open and the sound of many female voices.

She finished up without paying attention to whatever the girls were talking about. Her mind was solely on what had been happening tonight between her and the boys. She was finding it harder to deny how much they meant to her. When she was with them, she wanted to stop hiding their relationship from their families. She wanted to let everyone know that they were hers...

Yet, there was something that kept stopping her. Something that kept her from opening her mouth and telling everyone.

She opened her stall door and walked to the sink to wash her hands. She didn't look around or pay any attention to the girls that were in the bathroom with her. She was too wrapped up in trying to figure out what was stopping her.

"So Samantha, I thought that you said that you were related to Josh? You bring a whole new meaning to 'kissing cousins'."

Samantha couldn't believe the sneer in the voice. She looked around and came face to face with the ringleader. "I never said that we were related, just that my mom and his dad were. It's just that they are related through the marriage of some distant cousins." Samantha turned off the tap off.