Chapter 40 - John and Jason

John and Jason each lay on their own double bed in the hotel room. Both still felt stuffed after the steak dinner that the five of them had just finished eating at a local steakhouse an hour ago. Their TV was on and they were watching a movie.

The connecting door to their adjoining room was propped open although no one was currently in it. The kids were downstairs swimming in the heated pool.

When they had first booked their rooms, they had wisely booked adjoining rooms. While they were in a room with two double beds, the boys were in a room with a queen size bed. They were thankful now that they had wisely booked two rooms. If they hadn't, they doubted that they would have been able to find an empty hotel room in the area for Samantha to stay in.

They figured that they would let Samantha have the queen bed while Josh and Jake shared one double bed and John and Jason shared the other. It wasn't ideal, but it wasn't new for them either. They had often had to share beds and rooms in the past. Now that they were older, the fathers preferred to have their own bed, but so long as it was only for a few nights, they would put up with sharing.

Once their movie had ended, John wandered over to the connecting door. He opened it fully and entered the room. They had heard the three of them return to the room a few minutes ago. With a smile, he addressed the boys who were seated on the side of the bed wrapped up in towels. The bathroom door was closed and he could hear the shower running. "Is Samantha in the shower?"

The boys nodded.

"One of you can use the shower in our room to make things move faster." He watched as Jake and Josh held one of their silent conversations. It always struck him how much the two of them sometimes acted as if they were twins instead of best friends.

Josh stood up and grabbed his pyjama bottoms and a t-shirt. He headed towards the connecting door when John stopped him.

"Are you guys hungry now for some dessert? If so, we can either order in some room service or go down to the restaurant."

Jake looked up at Josh before he dipped his chin. "Since I'm waiting for either Samantha or Josh to finish showering, I wouldn't mind just ordering in. Samantha looks pretty tired out so it might be better to just relax for the rest of the evening."

"Sounds good. Why don't you come into our room and the two of you can choose the desserts before Josh gets into the shower?"

Jake stood up and followed the two of them into the other room. 

They sat across from each other on the beds. The four of them opened up the room service menu and quickly made their choices. Josh and Jake both looked up and grinned. They knew exactly what to order for Samantha. Josh told them his choice and then the he headed off for his shower. Jake informed of his choice as well as what they had decided on for Samantha.

"Are you sure that this is what Samantha would like?" Jason looked at his son with raised eyebrows.

"Absolutely. She loves chocolate, whipped cream, and crepes. She has told us how she loved being able to purchase crepes from street vendors whenever they travelled to Paris while they were living in Europe." Jake smiled widely at both his father and John.

Jason and John shrugged their shoulders. "Well, if you're sure," replied John as he crossed the room to the phone to place the order.

They heard the blow dryer start up through the open connecting door a few minutes before they heard Josh's shower stop.

Jake stood up and walked towards the connecting door. "I guess that's my clue to grab my stuff for my turn in the shower."

By the time that Jake had grabbed his stuff, Josh was just exiting the bathroom. He had already dressed in his pyjama bottoms and t-shirt. He held a towel to his hair drying it. "Samantha not out yet?"