Chapter 10 - The Proposal

A/N You may have noticed my beautiful new cover. It is courtesy of strawberryM1KO. Thank you so much for making it! And now the story continues...

As soon as they had all finished eating supper, Samantha, Josh, and Jake decided to head over to the concert field to find a spot to listen to the music. They left the adults talking after John had informed the boys that he would be heading back over to Jason's trailer during the concert. Samantha never asked her parents if they had been called back to the church to help out with her brother's youth group. She didn't want to risk finding out that they had. She figured that she would keep quiet until they brought it up themselves.

They soon found an area to sit near the same spot that they had sat at the night before. Samantha had her trusty backpack with her that contained the blanket that they had previously used. After spreading it out on the ground, they sat down to talk. Immediately, Josh reached over and pulled Samantha to sit in between his legs so that she could rest against his chest. The sun was starting to set, but it was still quite warm and Samantha was worried that he would be too hot with her there.

"I'm fine Samantha so long as you're not too hot," Josh whispered to her, but loudly enough so that Jake heard.

"I'll bet he's fine," Jake muttered with a smirk before continuing a bit louder, "I don't know about you Josh, but I think that Samantha is always too hot."

If she hadn't been hot before, Samantha was certainly heating up now. The way that Jake was looking at her was setting her veins on fire. She could see by the smirk on his face that he was trying to be lighthearted, but the smolder in his eyes told her a different story. Despite the heat, her body shivered in response.

Jake, who was now sitting facing them, reached over and picked up one of her hands. With his eyes never leaving hers, he raised the back of her hand to his mouth where he placed a soft kiss on her knuckles.

Her breath hitched as she continued to stare into his eyes. She felt Josh rest his chin on her shoulder. He turned his head slightly so that he could place a whisper soft kiss on the side of her neck. It was so soft and fleeting that she wondered if she had just imagined it. But imagined or not, her body reacted as if it had happened. She shivered once again as she heard Josh say, "Too hot or too sexy. It is all the same when we are talking about Samantha."

Goosebumps erupted on her arms. This was not missed by either of the boys and they were pleased. Knowing that the situation could get out of hand quickly from the way that they were feeling, the decided that they better take things down a notch.

Still holding her hand, but this time when he spoke to her Jake's voice was filled with concern. He remembered how quickly she had gotten cold last night and tonight she had yet to change into warmer clothes so he asked, "Are you going to get cold?"

"I might once the sun goes down, but I brought an extra small light blanket so that I don't have to change right away," replied Samantha as she squeezed Jake's hand.

Jake moved himself so that he was now sitting beside Josh facing the stage, but he still held on to her hand. The three of them settled back to listen to the music that was just starting.

About 30 minutes later, Samantha felt a buzzing along the side of her thigh. She had forgotten that she had put her cell phone in the hidden side pocket of her shorts and that was what was causing the buzzing. Once she realized that it was her phone, she pulled it out from her pocket. She discovered that she had a text message from her parents. With a sinking heart she opened it to find out that her parents had indeed received a phone call asking them to return to the city to help out at the church. She was devastated. Not only had she been looking forward to the bands that were playing tonight, she also knew that if she had to go back to the city now, that she probably would not be able to make it back to the rodeo tomorrow.