Father of the Year

"This is just a quick check up to make sure things with you and the baby are going smoothly." The doctor had said to me.

I turn my head to see Ethan staring intently at the monitor.

How did we get here? After last night I really hadn't expected to give in to this whole doctors appointment thing. I didn't want to know anything about the baby. I was almost 100% positive I didn't want to keep this baby. So how did I get here?

Earlier that day

"Wait, so are you two back together?" Lilly asks through the phone.

It was around three in the afternoon and I was sitting on my bed flipping through the channels.

"Definitely not." I mumble.

"Well he did come all that way Megan. Maybe he's really trying and you're just not giving him a chance."

I was taken back by my best friends remark. As my best friend she was suppose to take my side during all situations, but I knew she was probably right.

I groan. "I know, but I still don't think I can trust Ethan. I'm still positive it was him that had put those posters up, even if he does swear it wasn't."

Lilly stays quiet through the line.

"Hello. Earth to Lilly." I say.

I finally select the Lifetime channel.

"I have to tell you something." Lilly finally says after staying quiet for a good minute.

"And that is?" I question.

I hadn't known what she was going to say but what she did say was the last thing I would've expected.

"It was me." She says quietly.

"What was you?"

"I'm the person who put the posters up."

My eyes widen.

"Well actually, not technically. It's just, I accidentally told Sean." She sighs.

Sean was Lilly's jackass of a boyfriend. I didn't know why she was dating him out of all the guys she could've picked.

"You told Sean!" I say as angry boils through me.

"I swear it was an accident. It just slipped out!"

"You told the guy you've been dating for less than a month my biggest secret!"

I couldn't help it. I didn't want to be mad at Lilly but how could she be so careless? Especially since her and I both know how much of a dick Sean is. What did she expect?

"He swore he wouldn't tell anyone, but then I saw him talking to Nate and well, that's when it escalated." She says quietly.

"Lilly, my life is not going to be the same now and it's because of you." I say with clenched teeth.

Surprisingly, Lilly defends herself.

"No Megan, your life isn't going to be the same because you made a poor decision. Look I know I'm your best friend, so I shouldn't say stuff like this, but Megan, you were so careless when you decided to have sex with Ethan. You guys hadn't even known each other for a month and you gave away your virginity just like that. For someone who's as smart as you and is destined to one of the top colleges in America, well I just thought you'd be smarter than this."

I try to defend myself but she continues.

"And then you have Ethan. Not only is he totally gorgeous, but he's trying to take responsibility for his mistake. You're just trying to run from it. Killing this baby isn't the answer and yeah, maybe this means you won't go to some superior college and maybe you aren't destined for all those goals you had planned, but this is how life is. You make a mistake, you've got to live with it."