Gone Undercover

Two weeks later.........

Steve's POV.

We all settled in to our new home and had already been on secret missions. Things would never be the same, but its working out. Tony and I are starting to talk again and he actually  called me in for help twice. Off the record of course. Sharon and I hadn't talked since the kiss and we probably weren't going to be able to since I'm wanted. The doctors were still trying to find a way to help Bucky with his mind for when they wake him.

I was sitting in my room going over the last 2 weeks in my head and was interrupted by a knock at my bedroom door. "Yeah?" I yelled. "It's me Cap." Sam yelled in. "Come on in."

He opened the door and came in with his suit on. I quickly stood up. "What's going on?" I asked with worry in my voice. "Bombing. New York. The New Stark Tower." He said. "How many injured and how many..." "No deaths. 12 injuries." "What about Tony?" I asked. "He wasn't there, but Hill and Miss Pots were." "Oh no..." "Hill's okay, but Potts is... Injured. Critical condition." He said. I nodded. "There's nothing we can do now except... I'll go see how Tony's doing." "Okay. I'll go tell the others." I nodded. Then he left.

Later that day I arrived in New York and dressed as a reporter with glasses to get in. I was wanted by the government and I didn't want anyone to recognize me. I walked in and got through security. Then I made my way to the 4th floor where they said Tony was.

I walked in to the 4th floor and saw Tony just sitting on a stair. "Hey." I said. He turned around. "Cap?" He asked. "Yeah it's me." I said. "Hey!" He said and hugged me. "Why are dressed in that get up?" "Well I had to get through security somehow without getting thrown in jail." I said with a slight laugh. Then it faded to a frown of concern.

"How's Pepper?" I asked. Tony's mood saddened. "She's-She's strong. She'll be okay. No brain damage. She's not paralyzed. Everything's fine except..." "What?" He nodded looking like he was going to brake down. "Except... Now...she can't have children." He finally said. I froze. "I-I'm so sorry Tony." I said with condolence.

"I'm not sorry for me. We... Me and her... that was never going to hap- work out anyway. What I am sorry for is.... I'm the one who asked her to come over here and get something for me and bring it to the Avengers building. And now I have to tell her this!" "Tony you had no idea..." "Steve don't you see? It's all my fault! Her breaking up with me. Her giving up on me. And now her whole meaning for life being gone! It's all on me! I-I can't protect her. No matter how hard I try, I always make things worse." He said sadly and angrily. He sat down on the stairs again. I sighed and sat down to.

"Tony. When these things happen you can't blame yourself. You can't rest the whole world on your shoulders. Yes. You may have made a few mistakes, but they've shaped into who you are now." "Yeah, but what am I?" He asked. "A genius, billionaire, hero, philanthropist." I said as a mater of fact. He laughed. "Yeah. And that makes me..?" "A good man trying his hardest to change to be a better man."

He nodded. "I just... I can't loose her... more than I already have." He said. "Tony? Why don't you tell her that. But also tell her that you have to help people. Which means being Iron Man." "Okay." "You should also do something else. But it may be hard for you." I said. "Okay what?" "Your in love with Pepper right?" I asked. "Yeah I guess I am." He said smiling slightly.

"Okay. Well if you don't want to loose her and your in love with her then....why don't you marry her?" He jumped up and looked at me like I was crazy. "What?! Are you crazy? Me get married?" He laughed comically. "What?Howard got married why can't you?" "Please." He said rolling his eyes. "Me and my Dad weren't anything alike." " I knew your Father. And trust me you two are exactly alike." I said nodding. He laughed sarcastically.