A Place To Hide

Then my phone started to ring.

Me: Hello?

Mom: Nadia?

Me: Yes?

Mom: Where are you?

Me: Downtown, why?

Mom: Okay, well I sent your brother to find you.

Me: No mom, I-

Mom: Got to go, love you!

     And that was it. I started to freak out. He asked me, “What’s going on?” A tear rolled down your face in fright. “My-m-my brother’s coming for me.” He looked confused, not knowing what was going on. “Just follow me.” I ran behind him, but I didn’t even know where we were going.

*Ray’s House*

     When we got there, he opened the door and let me in first. Gentleman? I haven’t found out yet. I trust him, but there’s a part of me questioning if I should. After he shut the door and locked it, I got a little nervous. You know what happens in movies. He walked over to his couch and sat down.

     “You can sit… if you want to?” His voice sounded like he was nervous or something, but I walked over there and sat down. “So (he rubbed his hands together), what’s up with you and your brother?” I looked down. “Oh…"I didn’t make eye contact; it would’ve made things awkward. Ray lifted my chin,"You can tell me." I sighed, "He... Abuses me..."  I stopped myself, feeling unready to tell him. "Did he-" I shook my head quickly, a little too quickly. It was silent for a while, but I guess he decided to break it.

     He grabbed my hands and looked at me, "Well, you’re safe with me.” My heart was beating fast... I looked up at his bright face. His smile could light up the whole world. I gave him a gentle smile and didn’t realize how close we were to each other. Hoping that he wouldn’t notice I sat there and he spoke, “It’s getting late. You want some clothes to sleep in?”

     He was so kind and nice to me. I wonder why, we’ve never met… “Yeah, thanks.” I flashed him another smile and he did the same. Ray guided me to his bedroom and gave me some sweats to sleep in. After changing I fell asleep in his bed.

*Ray’s P.O.V.*

     I walked into my bedroom to see if my phone was in there. I searched everywhere and still couldn’t find it. Then I turned around to go into the living room, when I saw Nadia. I focused on her lying there so peacefully. Moments later I realized that my phone was under her leg. I was about to grab it, but if she woke up it would look like harassment and after all that she’s been through with her brother, I decided not to grab my phone and just get it another time. I took a pillow and a blanket out of my room and walked out of the room to sleep on the pull out couch.