Sick

~

     When I woke, I smelt pancakes calling my name and I smiled, skipping to the kitchen. I kissed his cheek and he turned around with a smile on his face. “I could get used to this,” I said as he handed me a plate full of pancakes. I started to eat and he leaned in for a kiss, but I swerved around him immediately. “That’s not a good idea!” Ray looked confused and I ran for the bathroom. I threw up and started to sweat.

-

     Then Ray knocked on the door, “Nadia?” I begged him not to come in, but he did anyway. He rubbed my back as I huddled over the toilet. “I told you not to come in.” He shrugged, “It happens, maybe you have the bug or something. It is that time of the year.” I nodded, “Well it sucks.” Ray sighed, “I’m sorry.” A few moments passed and I cleaned myself up.

-

    “Hey I’m going to town for a bit. Wanna come?” I gave him a look. He kissed my forehead and left, “Feel Better Gorgeous! Love You!” I sat there in the bed with a bucket and wet washrag beside me. There was a knock on the door and I opened the door to Imani. “Imani?” She walked in with her purse, pulling things out. “Okay I’m prepared. I got medicine; make up, a pregnancy test, tissues, makeup remover, and more makeup!” I felt confused. “Huh?” She handed me the pregnancy test, “Just pee on this stick.” I nodded and walked towards the bathroom, but turned around. “How did you know I was sick?” She dug through her purse, “Ray told me to check on you.”

~

     I sat there with my face in my hands, dizzy as f***. “What am I going to do,” I said with tears strolling down my face. Imani gave me a tissue, “Everything will be fine.” I looked at her, “IMANI! I’M ONLY 18! I DON’T WANT TO HAVE A BABY AT FREAKIN’ 18!” She jumped back for a second. “My mom popped me out when she was 19,” she said with a shrug. “Not helping,” I said, trying to wipe my tears, but they wouldn’t stop.

-

     Then Ray walked in. He had a confused face when he saw me, “What’s wrong?”I looked up at him, “Ray I’m…” It was silent. Imani gave me a confirmed look, letting me know that I should tell him. “Ray,” I looked at the ground, “I’m pregnant.” He slowly put the bag that he had in his hands down and sat beside me. He rubbed his hands together and just stared at the wall for a moment. I couldn’t tell what he was thinking. “It’s okay,” he looked at me, “We can do this.”

-

     Ray wiped my tears, “I’m only 18,” I said. He nodded, “And whatever happens, I’ll be here for you.” I shrugged, “I know… I’m just, scared.” Ray held me tightly, “It’ll be okay.” Imani stood up, “If there’s anything you’ll need, let me know.” He nodded and she left. That night I fell asleep with Ray on the couch.