Our Big Day

~

     It’s been months since the baby passed away and I’m now emotionally stable. I do think about him every now and then, thinking what he would’ve looked like and all. But I couldn’t focus on that because it was my wedding day. My fingers were trembling and so were my lips. I was so nervous. “Stay still Nadia. It’s hard to do your hair when you’re all over the place,” Imani said. “Sorry.” “What’s on your mind?”

-

     I sighed, “All those people in the audience, they’ll be watching me. What if I trip? Or my makeup starts to run?! Or-.” “Yeah, yeah. The what ifs,” Imani said interrupting my anxiety. “I’m just worried.” I rubbed my face. “Just relax,” she said, “Ray will be waiting for you at the end of the aisle. Soon you’ll be married.”

-

     My body relaxed a little bit by thinking about it, but I still had the what ifs in the back of my mind. I tried to breathe in and out slowly, except that didn’t work either. I looked into the mirror when Imani was finished and I was stunned. The things she can do. I turned around and hugged her, “Thank you!!!” She hugged back quickly. “No problem, now… TIME FOR THE DRESS!”

~

     I looked at the clock and started to tremble again. “You’re on in 3 minutes,” Imani said behind me. I gulped and my heart started beat so fast, I thought it was going to jump out of my chest. Imani looked at me, “Nadia, you’ll be fine.” I nodded, but those words weren’t going through my head. Mason tapped my shoulder, “You look beautiful.” I smiled, “Thanks.”

-

    I paced around the room, trying to calm myself down. “If it makes you feel better, Ray’s just as nervous as you and he said he couldn’t wait to see you.” I stopped and smiled, and then I heard the music. My heart began to race once again. Imani’s little cousin walked out to spread the petals that lay before me. I look back at Imani and she gives me thumbs up to go. Mason linked arms with me and we walked toward the doors.

-

     Mason looked at me, “You ready?” I gulped and then took a deep breath, “Yeah.” From a distance I saw Ray and then the doors opened. At first I stared at the ground, waiting for my heart to just explode. Then I looked up and saw Ray with a huge smile on his face.

-

*Ray’s P.O.V.*

     When I saw her, my heart stopped. I waited for her to look up and when she did, it was incredible. She was, gorgeous. When our eyes met, it was just like in high school and I fell in love with her all over again. She blushed, and my smile grew bigger. I never took my eyes off of her. I can’t believe she’s mine. All mine.

-

     Finally she got to where I was and I lifted her veil. “Words can’t describe how beautiful you look,” I whispered to her. Nadia blushed again. I mouthed to her, “I love you.” She smiled, “I love you too.” Then the priest began to talk, “Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God, and in the face of this company, to join together this Man and this Woman in holy Matrimony. Into this holy estate these two persons present come now to be joined. If any man can show just cause, why they may not lawfully be joined together, let him now speak, or else hereafter for ever hold his peace.”

-

     We waited, but nobody answered. Thank goodness. The priest continues, “Let’s start with the vows.” I nodded and looked into Nadia’s glistening eyes. “Nadia, I’ve loved you, every second that we’ve been together. When I first saw you my heart dropped. I’ve never been so in love before. Every time I look at you, I fall in love with you all over again. Your beauty takes my breath away and your personality lights up my day. I will do anything for you, for the woman of my dreams. You make my heart beat a mile a minute and I know that I will never stop loving you. Through sickness and health, through rich and poor, I will always love you and take care of you.”

-

      *Nadia’s P.O.V.*

     I was speechless. A tear escaped from my eye. Before it fell to the ground, Ray caught it and chuckled. “Ray, you mean everything to me. The way you make me feel is beyond describable. I love you with my entire thigh. I would say heart, but my thigh’s bigger,” he laughed. “I’ve been waiting for this day for what seems like forever and I’m so blissful that it came. I’m so glad, to call you my husband. I love you Ray and nothing will ever change that.”

-

     He smiled at me and we both looked at the priest, “Well I pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.” Ray smirked, “I’ve been waiting to do this for a whole three days,” he mumbled. He grabbed my waist and I wrapped my arms around his neck. “I love you,” he said to me. My heart pounded, thinking of the first time he said that to me.

-

     I smiled, “I love you too.” Then he leaned down and placed his lips on mine. It felt as if it was the first time we kissed. It was incredible.