Revelations(Jack)

"I can explain all of this."

"Then do it."

"Yeah, do it. Come on Mr. McLoughlin."

"Shut up then." My hands shook. I'd kept this secret for years.

They fell silent, quietly waiting to judge.

"This ring isn't just for fashion." I handed it to Bob, so he could pass it around. "The words engraved on it mean 'my eternal love ' in Irish."

"So?"

"It was given to me by my husband, six years ago on our wedding day." There. I'd said it.

"Wait you're gay?"

"Yes I am."

"And married?"

"For six wonderful years."

"What does this have to do with yelling at Bob and Wade?"

"My husband is a cop. He got shot. He was in the hospital for a week in a coma. Bob and Wade found me in my office crying, and they pestered me until I snapped and yelled at them what was wrong." I sighed, wiping my eyes.

"Oh my god, Mr. McLoughlin..."

"And Matt and Ryan stopped talking to me, because I wouldn't let them see Mark. I... his heart stopped six times in seven days. I didn't want them to have to witness that. Especially not Ryan, after... well... you all know what happened in September."

The class nodded.

"Now, don't go treating Matt and Ryan any different now, they don't need pity. Mark is home, he's back at work, and things are returning to normality. And please don't tell anyone outside this class that I'm gay." I finished.

"We're sorry Mr. McLoughlin... We won't."

"Don't be. You thought bad things were happening, so you took a stand for it. Speaking of stands, pay attention to yours now. The Soldier's Song. Measure one!"

The class groaned, and pulled out their music.