Settled(Mark)

We were well settled up in Olympia again. There had been no sign of Shane yet. But I practically stalked my kids.

It was the kids' first day back at OHS.

I sat in the back of the class, getting up to follow Matt and Ryan ad the bell rang. We'd arranged it with Mr. Grant so they had identical schedules. I wasn't letting them out of my sight until I knew Shane was gone.

I followed them to their next class, and sat down in the back again.

"Hey Matt, Ryan, why is a cop always following you around? Are you in trouble or something?"

"Yeah. Do you guys like, spend the night in Juvie or some shit."

"Oh fuck off, Toby." Matt grumbled.

"Come on! Tell me."

"Toby shut up." Ryan said.

"Zip it, faggot."

"Do NOT, talk to my boyfriend that way." Matt snarled, standing, slamming his hands on the desk.

"Oh so you're a fag too? Hey guys look. We've got an infection in the room. I even heard they're brothers."

"Im adopted!" Matt hissed. "Ryan's just a foster kid. He's not my real brother."

"Criminal inbreeding faggots. That's what you are."

I stood. It was time to intervene. All of the other kids glared at Toby, as if they couldn't believe.he kept saying such things. The bell hadn't rung to start Mrs. Kirk's class yet, so she wasn't here. I tapped Toby on the shoulder.

"Hi there."

He looked up, eyes wide. "Hello officer. Uh... hi."

I crouched down so I was a little lower than him, where he sat at his desk. "How about you leave my kids the fuck alone, m'kay?" I smiled.

"Your kids- I didn't- I- uh I- I'm sorry sir." He sputtered, apologising.

Matt was staring at me, grinning ear to ear, Ryan was trying not to laugh.

"One last thing: if I catch you spreading rumors, or I see you even think, about hurting them, or anyone else who's life you don't agree with, I'll drag you off in cuffs for harassment, and I will have every legal right to do so. Tell all your friends as well. Leave. Them. Alone."

Toby swallowed nervously. "Y-yes sir."

I walked back to my seat, just as the bell rang, and Mrs. Kirk walked in to teach about pathogens and harmful chemicals.