Poor Baby(Mark)

"He what?" I asked. I'd gotten a call from a lady who said she was the school nurse.

"I'm on my way." I grabbed my keys. "Avi! I have to go get Jack!"

"Everything okay?"

"I hope so! Don't think I'll be back today."

"Get out of here Mark. Dont keep him waiting. And feel free to whoop-whoop it up." That was Avi's way of saying I could use my sirens.

I ran to my squad car, and pulled out of the parking garage.

I pulled into the parking lot of the school within minutes, shutting off my sirens, which had attracted the attention of the P.E class in the field.

I got out of the car, and ran inside, drawing attention from students headed to the computer lab, as I jogged past in full uniform, to the nurse's office.

I ran through the door, and Jack got up.

"Mark..." He whispered, stumbling to me and shaking.

I pulled him into my arms, hugging him close. "It's okay. It's okay baby... you're safe... let's go home."

Students stared at us as we walked out into the hallway, my arm around him loosely, in more of a lead than a comforting hold.

"Mr.McLoughlin! Why is there a cop? Are you in trouble?"

"No..." Sean said. "Go to class."

"Then why...?"

"Go to class, kid." I said, shooting daggers at them, as my still anxious husband tried to control his breathing. "Its okay baby... I'm here. Focus on me, okay?"

He nodded, and I kissed him gently, giving him something to focus on.

Murmurs went through the hall.

"Mr. McLoughlin is gay?"

"Dude what? Ew."

"Shut up Geoffrey. I think it's cute."

Jack was too out of it to notice.

I led him out the door, and stuck my head back inside. "If any of you gives him shit about this, you'll have two kids, a badass irish guitarist, his husband, and three other officers in the LAPD to answer to."

"Husband? He's married? Then what'd you kiss him for?"

"Put it together you twat!" One of the other kids nudged the girl. The boy's eyes widened in realization, and he shut up.

I turned my attention back to Jack, letting the door close.

"They all know now." Jack sobbed. "They'll hate me..."

"Its okay. Its okay. They won't do a damn thing." I kissed his neck softly, wrapping my arms around him. "Do you want to go home, or go get something to eat first?"

"Can we hit a drive through?" He mumbled. "I need something cold, and sweet..."

"Yeah. Sure baby." I opened the passenger door, and walked around to my side. He followed me.

"Jack..."

"Sit in the back with me. Just for a minute. Please. I can't breathe... I'm scared."

I opened the back door, and got in with him. He laid his head on my lap, and I played with his hair until his breathing slowed to normal. It took me a second, but I realized he was asleep.

I gently slid out from under him, laying his head on my bundled up jacket.

Getting in front, I cautiously went to DQ. The window was open, so I skipped the soundbox.

"Hi." I whispered.

"Hello sir. Why are you whispering?"

"My husband is asleep in the backseat."

She nodded, looking rather confused, since I was in a squad car. "What would you like?"

"A Blizzard. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. And a Chocolate dipped swirl cone, please."

"Coming right up officer."

"Thank you ma'am." I waited, watching Sean's calm, sleeping face the rearview mirror.

She came back with the ice cream, and I paid, setting Sean's Blizzard in the cupholder before starting to eat my cone as I drove slowly home.