Road to Recovery(Jack)

The class barely breathed as I told my story.

"He made 666 cuts on my body, each one hitting bone. He threw me in the tub and beat me until I stopped crying." My entire body shook, and I gulped for air. "Mark showed, and pretended he didn't care what Shane did to me. I barely remember what happened next, but some cops came in, Dawson shot Mark, but he was okay because he had on a vest. Shane was arrested, and they tried to take me away from Mark. I couldn't breathe. I was in the ambulance, and I tried to talk to him and tell him how sorry I was about our fight, and then my heart stopped. When I woke up in the hospital. The rubbing alcohol had rendered me temporarily blind..." I paused, running a hand through my hair as the tears started to run down my cheeks and soak into Mark's navy blue pants. "I saw Shane the other day at the prison. He... wanted me to save him from the chair. I still don't know what to do about that... because he killed and hurt people. He's a bad man. but what does that make me if I just sit there and watch him die? Anyway... I had a panic attack when Patrick said 'rubbing alcohol' on Thursday, and today... Well, I apologise for my actions today. I shouldn't have taking it out on you guys. You're the best class ever."

Patrick was the first one to speak. "I'm so sorry that happened to you Mr. McLoughlin... And... sorry about today.

I chuckled softly, wiping my eyes. "It's alright. It's not your fault. You didn't know."

The bell rang, and the class stayed put.

"Get out of here guys!" I laughed. "You'll be late! But please, don't talk to people about this. I'd greatly appreciate of what I just told you stayed in here."

"Yeah, okay." And other variations bounced arpund the rom as the kids started packing up, and Patrick approached me. "Can I have my costume back?"

I hugged him with one arm. He looked so sad. More upset than me. "Yeah. Do you need someone to redo your makeup?"

He narrowed his eyes in confusion. "Really?"

"Yeah. I uh... I think talking about it in a safe environment helped..." I sighed. "I really do..."

"Okay!" He smiled, then frowned. "But I'll be late."

"Don't worry. I'll write you a pass."

"Okay." Patrick nodded, and pulled his makeup kit out of his backpack.

I sat him down, closing my eyes, and calling up Shane's face with ease. As I painted the face of my worst nightmare on one of my best students, I couldn't help but laugh.

I was on the road to recovery...