Chapter 1

"Hello ma'am, what would you like to have today?" I forced a smile on my face and asked the old woman who was standing infront of me looking at the menu through her spectacles.

After a few seconds of thinking, she replied, "Please make me a club sandwich with a strawberry shake, will ya?" The old lady gave me her order with that pleasant smile of hers. Was it even her age to have such things? I thought, as I noted the order quickly. I gave her the receipt and collected money from her wrinkled hands.

Woman, you better be my last customer. I warned the old lady in my heart as she went away and sat down on a table nearby, waiting for her order to arrive.

I was so exhausted by that time. It was still 7:30pm. Half an hour before the cafe closes. I should have been home by now, watching some tv show while having popcorn and lying on my comfy couch or simply sleeping. But how would I possibly survive if I became a couched potato?

I liked my previous and first ever part time job. I worked at a small coffee shop just across the street from my mini apartment. I had friends there and the atmosphere made me feel like home.

The only problem there was the pay. It simply wasn't enough. As days passed by, it became quite difficult for me to manage my tuition fee, apartment rent, bills, and food, of course. So I was forced to drop my CV at some of the quality, high class cafes in town and luckily one of them hired me.

Well, I wasn't this financially terrible from the start. Everybody have their tragic stories and so do I. It had been two years now since my father died. I was just seventeen back then. To me he was a sooper dooper, swagger FBI agent. Cool, eh? He sure was. Known for his hard work and determination, no one could have been more passionate than him in his work. So passionate that he lost his life in the name of his job. My father had always been my idol. Forever and always.

My mother died immediately after she gave birth to her first and last child so I was raised by my father. Good thing he taught me how to be independent. Just like him.

I was clearing the counter, lost in the memories of the past, when I heard the front door of the cafe open. Oh no. Not another one, please. I looked up hoping not to see another customer. I sighed when I saw a muscular man dressed in black. He looked suspicious. But I wasn't in the mood to study him right now.

I continued clearing my counter not bothering. I heard footsteps coming towards me. Okayy, get ready Cassie. It's time to act. I looked up plastering a sweet smile on my face.