Chapter 15

6 YEARS LATER

Elan. Elan. Elan.
The more I tried to eradicate his thoughts, the more I tried to remove him from my heart, the more I tried to move on.., the more my mind was engulfed with his thoughts, the more my heart reminded me of him, the more I missed him. It had been 6 years now. I reminded myself every time I thought of him.

Though we hadn't been in a relationship back then, more like horrible circumstances parted us, but we still had a deep connection. And I knew in my heart that he was nothing like his father.

These thoughts were spread all over my mind when I woke up. I sat up in my bed and stretched my arms out wide in the air as I yawned. I swang my legs over to the side and my bare feet touched the cold tile floor. My eyes gazed from my feet to the side table desk where a black and white chequered frame sat.

I smiled. It had a picture of me and my dad. My favourite picture. He had a sweet, caring smile on his face and I was wrapped in his arms giving my million dollar smile. The fact that my beloved father was killed by the father of the first guy I liked was crazy.

My dad was murdered. Murdered by Robert Burten. Bloody killer. I hated him with all my nerves. First, he took the most important man in my life, my dad. And then, the second most important man, a great friend, Elan. However, I realised over the past 6 years that he meant more than a friend to me.

Elan and I never had the chance to take our friendship to another level. The day I went to his house and after going through the paper which doubted me that dad's death was related to Robert Burten, my life completely changed.

Robert Burten asked his secretary Sebastian to give him a report on me, to find out who I was. He had to at least do something, because I accidentally found out about his real, dirty character.

As soon as he came to know that I was the daughter of the FBI agent that he killed, he ordered his secretary to send me overseas and continue my degree of law there. He sent me far away from his home, from his son. Alone. I was given no choice.

I never had the chance to even say proper goodbyes to the people I knew, mainly Elan. I remember him calling me several times after I left his place, but I didn't have the courage to talk to him. What was I even supposed to say? Hey Elan, I think your father played a role in my father's death and I think I may have started liking you, but I don't know now.

Hell no.

I clearly remember the day before my dad died. He was really happy. He told me that he was going to be promoted and then he would take me to a small vacation. He said that he was almost at the end of a big project on which Katie's dad was accompanying him too. He was soon going to catch some really bad guys.

It was 6 years ago that I found out that those bad guys were Robert Burten and his men. They were engaged secretly in money laundering and did everything to keep their company on top. Even murders. And when my dad tried to reveal their identity, they killed him too.

Katie's dad was quite lucky. Robert Burten gave him the choice of leaving town with his family and never come back. He'll be kept safe then.

I shook my head in order to set aside these tragic events of my life. I didn't have time to recall such memories, because I had a big day ahead. Maybe the most important one. It was my first day at work after a few months of challenging training. I had graduated with my law degree and then was recruited in the FBI.