Chapter 8

The following day, I and Elan finally had a proper conversation. I had decided to talk to him. I asked the manager to free me from work half an hour early that day. Luckily, he agreed.

I changed, took my backpack and went out of the staff room, hoping to see Elan sitting comfortably on his beloved table. Instead, he was standing near the door wearing his jacket, waiting.

"Are you going?" I asked.

"We are going," He replied calmly, smiling. "Let's go for a walk, hm?" He continued.

Before I could say anything else, he opened the door for me and bowed like I was some Queen. How sweet, I thought. I decided to go with the flow. Enough of the running away, anyway.

I went out of the cafe and Elan followed me. He took care of his guard and lead the way. We started walking along the pavement. As the street lights were getting brighter, the streets themselves were getting lonely. "You haven't still told me your good name," he asked.

"Oh yes. My name is Cassie. Cassie Stephen," I replied quickly, feeling dumb. The cold, yet pleasant wind blew past our faces and sent a shiver down my spine.

"We can go back if you're feeling cold," Elan broke the silence, catching me having a shiver.

"Oh no, it's fine. I actually like the weather," I answered glancing at the dark sky. "Me too," he replied giving me a heartthrobing smile.

"That's a nice name you have, Cassie," he complimented me. "Thank you. My father gave me that name. Anyways, what's your story?" I asked, making a conversation.

"My story?" He let out a low chuckle and then continued, "Okay so, let's start from the beginning. But first, I want you to know that my mother wasn't feeling well so I wasn't able to come to the cafe."

"Oh, is she alright?"

"She's better now. Her health keeps fluctuating. She has a heart problem."

"I am so sorry. May she get well real soon, Elan."

"Thank you. So, here we go. My name is Elan Robert. My father's name is Robert Burten who is a businessman and my mother's name is Allenora Suzan. Her works include charity and funding campaigns. Just for her own interest and time pass."

"Wait. Robert Burten? The Robert Burten?" I interfered focussing on the 'the', and looked at him surprisingly.

"Yeah, I guess." He answered not showing much interest.

"Wow. So you're the son of the lord of business. How come you never told me? And what exactly are you doing here?"

"Well, if I would have done that, then you would have even called me a show off. I know you must have called me lots of other names as well," he teased me. "Andd, the other question, I already told you that you stopped me in my tracks the first time I saw you. So, can we at least become friends? I would be grateful to have such a beauty in my friend list, you know."

"You're mad," I laughed a little, blushing. "You would already have many 'beauties' on your list, I can assume." It was my turn to tease him.

"Yeah, but no one 'stopped' me in my tracks, you see. And by the way, being a son of a wealthy father doesn't specifically mean that I would be a play boy or something."

I had no answer for that. After a short while, we sat on a bench nearby. Now it was my turn to tell him my part of the story. We talked for good 15 minutes, trying to know each other. He was quite impressed by my late father's occupation and the fact that I was living independently along with studying law. He, somehow seemed to be understanding me.

Maybe he wasn't that bad, I thought. But he was the son of Robert Burten, man! He was one of the richest guys in the country. How come I even ended up talking to his son in the first place? And above all, that person showed interest in me. And I'm here going like whaaat?